Best P&S or 4/3s

I'm think about grabbing a new P&S or perhaps even a 4/3s camera. Leaning towards a G11 or a Panasonic GF1 but I've caught a couple posts with Olympus' E-P2 looks great too. I know the G11, and it's not quite in the same league as the others but it would be a more true P&S and lead with it's compactness.
Just lookin' for something that will take great snaps and have some DOF control/options that is more portable than the D700 + 35mm...My cake and eat it too.

What are you looking for? I have a canon s10, and gf-1 and a d3.
Each is a different tool for a different shoot.
I can stick the s10 in my pocket anytime- and shoot anywhere. It is in my pocket right now. Pics are actually pretty good, but not for action, sports or low light stuff.
Gf-1 great little camera- but unless I have the 20mm pancake lens it does not fit in the pocket. You actually have to carry this around- different from the s10, but easier than the d3. It is way easier to get away with shooting this in the city- less intimidating than the d3. Still not for action or sports. I can't yet get really used to not having a true viewfinder. In the right situations- can not really tell the pictures in small prints from bigger cameras.
The D3 is too big, too heavy, and too many other things- but I still shoot it more than the others.
So to answer your question. The gf1 is, in my hands, not a pocket camera- the s10 is.
They all have their uses. They all can make great pictures. Let me know if you have a specific question.

Gary

I want something where I can get good subject seperation and be quite a bit more portable than the D700. Something IQ wise like a D200 + Sigma 30mm 1.4 but in a small package...

there is zero subject isolation with P&S cameras.

with m4/3's, even the 20mmf1.7 lens becomes a 40mmf3.5 in FX terms. that is probably the closest you can get to having a compact camera with lowlight and shallow DOF. next step up would be a d40 + 35dx.

game of compromises. im just waiting for the olympus m4/3 cameras to get a hi-res lcd screen and pop-up flash, then i'll eventually use that + the panasonic 20mmf1.7 as my "pocket" camera.

Then definitely the m4/3. I have the GF1 and love it. The pancake 20 1.7 is wonderful. You won't get much subject seperation with a P&S.

f3.5?
Is that correct? If so does the same apply to DX lenses does a f1.4 FX lens become f2.8 on DX?

FX has a 1 and 1/3 stop advantage with regards to DOF over DX. so an f1.4 FX lens will become an f2.2 lens when used on DX. now remember, this is ONLY for DOF. the amount of light that hits the sensor is the same.

this makes FX desirable for when you want a shallow DOF, and makes DX desirable when you want a large DOF. m4/3's has even larger DOF than DX. i think that FX has a full 2 stop DOF advantage over m4/3's. m4/3's would be great for wide angles/landscapes since you could use large apertures to keep the ISO low and still get an insanely large amount of DOF.

I like the Canon G11. If you use it a bit, there is an awful lot you can accomplish with it. I find that I can use lighting to make my subject pop. Check out the G11 threads. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

I like the Canon G11 but it's got two things wrong with it. First, after poor treatment, I really don't want to buy another product of theirs ever again. Secondly, it doesn't function as well as I'd want it to in a portrait situation...

I'd say for quality/size, its hard to beat up on the Oly Ep-1 or 2, with the panasonic 20mm 1.7.

It was a good little kit, i only sold mine because it was a bit larger than i was willing to throw in a pocket all the time, if i need to carry a bag/case around i'd rather bring the d90. for a gal with a purse/handbag, or a locale where jackets/coats are worn a little more than here, it would have been perfect.

I'm leaning canon s90 currently for p&s that i can just keep on me all the time, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Latest threads

Top Bottom