Best package for $1200??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yahtzee, Aug 7, 2007.

1. One of my best buddies is looking at a D80 + kit lens (18-135mm). Is this about the best deal going for that amount of money? I told him that photography is 80% talent 20% equipment. (lenses, mainly) I feel that it may make better sense to go to the D40 and upgrade his lens to something a little better. Any thoughts or suggestions on this? Thanks in advance.

2. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    I told him that photography is 80% talent 20% equipment. (lenses, mainly)

I don't agree with your percentages. Anyway, I had a similar situation and I recommended a d40x with the nikon 18-200. My buddy is VERY happy. IMHO a d80 is overkill and the 18-200 is a better bet for most folks who just want to take a good picture.

3. I would really recommend a 50.1.8 lens and an SB600 to whatever kit your friend buys...the external flash and the low light shooting are some of the things that really separate a dSLR from a P&S.

I saw a used D50 on another site for $350 the other day...that, coupled with a used 18-200 lens (maybe $600), and a 50/1.8 ($100) and a used SB600 ($150 maybe) would get a pretty nice (albeit used) kit for $1200, and it would allow your friend to really explore the world of dSLRs and their capabilities...that is, until camera/flash/lens lust(s) set in...LOL...

4. Ha,HA, this has nothing to do with the original post but your last comment made me laugh!! I started with a used d70 18-70mm lens.....then I had to get a sb 600 then I had to get 50mm 1.4.....now I am looking for a telephoto lens. This has all happened since February. Make sure to let your friend know this dslr thing is addicting!!!

Sarah

5. I like the used kit listed above. If your friend wants to buy new, a D40 plus an 18-200VR would be a great start. If he can squeeze it in, an SB-400 would be a great add.

6. YEKCIM

YEKCIM

Jul 27, 2007
    Alabama
    What about D40 + 18-135 + 55-200VR? Online pricing would be less than a grand for the whole kit-n-kaboodle. Downside would be lack of autofocus with lenses w/o in-lens AF motor, such as the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8.

~YEKCIM

7. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

I bought a kit now my kit lense is a paper weight.
    Nothing is better then pro glass since he is starting out get him to buy the d80 body or if he has to get the kit get them to buy back the lens.Then get the 50mm 1.8 prime super cheap and the best lens for a novice to learn on.

conclusion now he has good glass for landscapes bust portraits etc and his body wont need replacing when the bug strikes.
    On a sour note if he decides its too much for him at least this setup has resale value

8. Does he have a preference for what he likes to shoot? Family? Kids sporting activities? Nature/hiking stuff?

9. Sounds like you and I are not only living in similar areas but are following a simmilar path. I started with a D70 and a 18-55 back in Feb, and have now added a 50/1.8 and SB-600. I am on the hunt for a longer lense, and also a sigma 10-20 (I do a lot of renovations and want to take interior pics).

So far I have about $800 Can invested in my kit including a new to me 7 million dollar crumpler that will arrive on friday (i hope).

I think that buying a good used body is a good way to get started, and add some more glass and lighting that you can experiment with. With just a body and one lense, the amount that you can experiment is limited.

10. WOW too funny we are on the same path. I really enjoy my d70 but sometimes I wonder if I should have went with the d50 or d40? Not too sure if I use all the capabiliteis of the d70. I really agree with you that a good used body is great and than add some good glass. Maybe this is a silly question but what is a 7 million dollar crumpler?

Sarah

11. krs2fer

krs2fer Guest

12. Thanks no I know what people are talking about!!

Sarah

13. cuttooth

cuttooth Guest

i think this really depends on what he wants to shoot with it? without knowing that and assuming it is just "general" stuff i would say the d40 and the 18-200vr.

14. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I saw the D40 at Sam's club today for $559 with an 18-55 lens.

15. I just bought mines off of US1Photo.com for 524.95. I think it's 519 now..Price changed day after I ordered..Will be receiving the kit tomorrow. WAY TOO EXCITED.

EDIT: Oh wow. They are now selling the body only for 459..I'm way mad haha.

16. Since it's completely subjective anyway tell me what the correct percentages should be? Sure, some awesome shots have been taken with disposable cameras but at the end of the day great glass makes a difference as does the body that it clicks onto.