Best Photo Editing / Post Processing Suite for Mac / Apple?

Out of the blue was just approached by a commercial print shop here in Canada to provide photos. I’m currently using Lightroom mobile on an iPhone to post-process. Would like to move to a laptop (mac) program or cloud based program, or an iPad app that doesn’t reduce the size of the files and offers greater range / capability than Lightroom mobile.

We’re a Mac family and prefer to stay that way, what program would you invest in? Budget is not a huge concern for the software / application, and don’t mind buying an ipad pro if need be. Searched old threads here first and apologize if this is a beat to death subject, hoping to find 2020 info as it changes so fast.

Appreciate the time,

Angus

If you want a program that connects across platforms, Lightroom is probably the most widely used. Lightroom subscription will give you access to Photoshop which provides a wider set of tools. I suppose this makes sense as you are already using Lightroom on one platform.

I've recently bought into Capture 1 (version 20 currently on sale) but that only runs on a laptop. Both programs have quirks, strengths and weaknesses.

I used to use Photoshop but gave up on it some years ago when they went cloud based, I still have it on my older mac but I switched over to on1 many years ago, it does everything that lightroom does but better although very similar. I only use it on my Mac as I consider a phone & iPad far too small to edit on, but they have just come out with what they call "360º Take Photography Anywhere" which is for mobile applications.

Do not know what it's like, but if it's anything like their mac based software you will not go far wrong. Link to on1: https://www.on1.com

I'm with Connie. I've been using DxO PL for a few years now and really like it. I used Lightroom for a while, but never used the cataloging features and found that to be an obstacle for me. I really didn't like having Adobe controlling where my photos were stored on the computer, and having to "import" them into Lightroom before editing. DxO PL 3 just uses the folder structure on your computer, however you have it set up.

I really didn't like having Adobe controlling where my photos were stored on the computer

I don't know what was happening with Adobe a few years ago when you were using it, but it currently doesn't impose any requirements on where the user stores image files. I've been using Lightroom only for its Book module. I've been using it for years for that purpose and it has never mattered where my image files are stored. I've been using Photoshop and ACR probably only a little more than a year and during that time it has never mattered where my image files are stored. All of that pertains to a PC and I would be shocked to learn that it's different for an Apple product.

Last edited:
I don't know what was happening with Adobe a few years ago when you were using it, but it currently doesn't impose any requirements on where the user stores image files. I've been using Lightroom only for its Book module. I've been using it for years for that purpose and it has never mattered where my image files are stored. I've been using Photoshop and ACR probably only a little more than a year and during that time it has never mattered where my image files are stored.

I probably didn't state that clearly. What I don't like is that to move or delete a file that has been imported into LR you have to do it through the LR interface. You can no longer use your computer's disk management system w/o messing up the LR catalog.

I searched for a while to find a program that would do both the D.A.M. function and a reasonable set of editing. I ended up with ON1 Photo Raw 2020. Works fine for me on a Mac Mini. I supplement this with Topaz Sharpen AI and Affinity Photo as necessary.

Does the DAM function allow you to move or delete files outside the program?
Yes. I can use ON1 as a browser to look/edit, or make a catalog folder to do the same. In either case I can add/delete photos outside of ON1 and it will keep up. Seems prone to failure but works fine so far. Also has albums, which appear to be user defined queries to the database holding the cataloged folders allowing searches on various metadata. Have not used this feature so far.

I also like that I can call other programs like Sharpen AI and, if the external software is coded properly, will replace the file with the edited version when exiting. A COPY of the ON1 file is passed on to the called program, so you end up with the partially edited ON1 file and a copied version passed on the the external program. Also the original file is never altered.

PS, there are things that ON1 could do better, but works fine for me. Your mileage may very.

I think telling thing is that we are almost all using different post-processing programs, yet I've admired the images you all have posted. It seems there is no one right answer. One thing Angus might consider is if there is anyone he knows who uses a particular program and can get him up to speed. Learning some of these programs is occasionally a painful process (as I alluded to above :)).

What I don't like is that to move or delete a file that has been imported into LR you have to do it through the LR interface. You can no longer use your computer's disk management system w/o messing up the LR catalog.

As I understand it, that's true of any database catalog. The catalog can watch for mismatches, but I certainly wouldn't trust that capability.

Last edited:
I think telling thing is that we are almost all using different post-processing programs, yet I've admired the images you all have posted. It seems there is no one right answer. One thing Angus might consider is if there is anyone he knows who uses a particular program and can get him up to speed. Learning some of these programs is occasionally a painful process (as I alluded to above :)).

I agree. There is no "one size fits all" image processing solution. Unfortunately, the learning process for all of them is fairly lengthy and after one is mastered we tend to be reluctant to try another.

I had tried a few different programs when it became apparent that Apple was absolutely no longer going to be supporting Aperture and when it was very clear that upon the arrival of Catalina, Aperture really would be dead and gone..... I wasn’t shooting a lot nor was I shooting seriously for a while so it didn’t really matter, I could just jump into a program and do a quick-and-dirty edit when needed and that was that.

THEN.....came November of 2019 and I had this shiny new gear and larger number of MP and higher resolution and after only a few editing sessions I knew that what I had been using just wasn’t cutting the mustard. Time to get serious about this! I did a couple more trials of this-and-that and when I came upon DXO Photolab 3 I knew I’d hit paydirt; the program was more intuitive for me, it didn’t throw in a bunch of complex features that I’d never use in a hundred years, and I liked the results I was seeing with it right out of the gate. Good thing, as only a week or two after I had purchased the program did I have a real baptism of fire with it when a friend wanted me to photograph her retirement party. All of a sudden I had to learn more than just the immediately-apparent basics, I had to really “get” the workings and features of this software in order to be able to edit some decent images for my friend as mementos of her once-in-a-lifetime event..... DXO Photolab 3 and I worked together and I learned what I needed to learn, the program delivered, my friend was happy and I was happy!

Indeed, we all have our own working style and priorities..... Like Jim, I don’t want some software program controlling where I put my my image files when the computer is first ingesting them from the card reader, nor do I want it seizing control later on, either. I keep my image files totally free in folders of my own creation right where I want them, and within easy, immediate reach for use and for later archiving.

I agree. There is no "one size fits all" image processing solution. Unfortunately, the learning process for all of them is fairly lengthy and after one is mastered we tend to be reluctant to try another.

That's certainly the case for me. It explains why it took so long for me to migrate from Capture NX2 years after Nikon stopped upgrading the program to Adobe Photoshop CC. Once I took the time to learn how to use Photoshop CC to my advantage, I can't imagine a reason under current circumstances for changing to a different program, especially considering that its cost is so affordable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4116

As I understand it, that's true of any database catalog. The catalog can watch for mismatches, but I certainly wouldn't trust that capability.
That's correct. Typically you would manage the location of your files before you import it into the catalog. If you move them, you can still move them in LR by telling it where they moved to and everything remains intact.

There are pros and cons to each setup an dit's up to the user to figure out what works best for them. The non-destructive editing LR provides is way more valuable to me than finder management.

Haven't look at DxO, but it could be a future consideration if/when my adobe sub through work ends.

I use Photoshop and Capture One both on Mac. If I could just own one it would be the Adobe CC photo pack which gives you PS and LR, but Capture One now has a pretty cheap standalone Nikon version so I'm going to go off the subscription model and onto that. As a pure raw editor I love Capture One its very intuitive and the files just look great processed with it but its weaknesses are spot/dust removal, cloning and obviously you cant combine images. If I take a shot that has all the dynamic range and nothing to clone out I use C1 but if I blend exposures as in mixing architecture shots where I need the lights inside the buildings to not be blown out while retaining shadows, I have things to clone out or I just want to get creative I use PS. Im not a pro just an hobbyist photographer/photoshop tinkerer but have been using the program for years.

Latest threads

Top Bottom