Best place to get an older version of Photoshop?

With Photoshop CS4 here, I'm hoping to be able to get a copy of CS3 at a discount.
Is there a place to purchase older versions a a cheaper price?

Should I try to get a copy of CS2 and a CS3 upgrade?

Any other recommendations?

I should mention to, I'm a Mac user.
Will that make it harder to find (ie, are there more copies of the Windows version floating around or is it about equal)?

and finally...

If I do find a Windows version, can I download the Mac version from Adobe and use the license from the Windows version to activate it?

Thanks, Glenn

I'm not sure I need everything Photoshop has to offer. Kind of want to get into a "reduced price, full trial version". I already use PS Elements and want more. Aperture is OK.
I really just want to lay with a full version in hopes a 64 bit version for the Mac comes along sometime.

T

toebones

I was in same situation as yourself. Went to ebay and found photoshop3 at very reasonable price. They also had quite a few for Apple computers for sale.

If I do find a Windows version, can I download the Mac version from Adobe and use the license from the Windows version to activate it?

No.

I had a Windows version and switched to Mac. I had to go through a paperwork and approval process with Adobe to do a platform transfer and get a Mac license. Took about a month, and they force you to do an upgrade if you don't already have the latest version.

No.

I had a Windows version and switched to Mac. I had to go through a paperwork and approval process with Adobe to do a platform transfer and get a Mac license. Took about a month, and they force you to do an upgrade if you don't already have the latest version.

Imagine going to Ford and saying I'm going to live in New Zealand can you swap my left hand drive Mustang to a right hand drive one please?:biggrin::biggrin::eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Try eBay or some other auction site. I bought PS7 with a CS2 upgrade through eBay. I asked the seller for the serial numbers for PS7 and CS2 and checked these with Adobe before I transfered the money. The seller was OK with this and if not, I would have bought elsewhere.

C

ChrisA

Buy a Wacom "Bambo Fun" graphic tablet. Inside the box along with the graphic tablet is a full, upgradable copy of Photoshop Elements. The after you register, go to the Wacom website and they have upgrade deals that are very favourable for Wacom users that are cheaper then on the Adobe web site.

I went this route a while back and basically got a huge deal on PS CS3 and at the same time in effect got the tablet for free -- and yes you really do need the tablet

All that said, for photographers (as opposed to graphic artists) Elements has just about everything you will need. Most of us only use the basic retouch tools , layers and masks and simple filters and adjustment layers. PSE has all of that.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
If you have kids, also consider doing the academic license method. I know lots of people who get it from the academic super store online. Academic pricing for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 was $99 vs $299 retail. You might compare the features of Lightroom vs. Photoshop to see if you really need all the PS offers.

If you have kids, also consider doing the academic license method. I know lots of people who get it from the academic super store online. Academic pricing for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 was $99 vs $299 retail. You might compare the features of Lightroom vs. Photoshop to see if you really need all the PS offers.
Although the academic version isn't licensed for professional use (true for most academic software licenses).

Latest threads

Top Bottom