1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best place to get digital picture develop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bqv1910, Jul 31, 2008.

1. bqv1910

bqv1910

Aug 28, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I just want to see your opinions on the best place to get digital pictures developed. I am looking for the place that can give me the best possible printout, cost is secondary...thanks :smile:

2. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    My absolute favorite place to have prints made is Millers Lab bar none. The prints are nothing less than spectacular. If you do not want to open a commercial account with them ($5000 minimum/yr), you can use their consumer arm called www.mpix.com

3. bqv1910

bqv1910

Aug 28, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What about the Adoramapix place ? Are they any good ?

Of the local retailers like Walgreen, CVS, Walmart, which one is decent ? How do they stack up against online ones ?

4. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I really do like whcc.com

5. My favorite is White House Custom Color (WHCC). They are a professional lab in St. Paul, MN., and they do excellent work for a good price. If your order is for $12 or more the shipping is free. It is a simple matter to upload your images and their turnaround is two days. I just sent a large print order in on Tuesday afternoon and will have it delivered to my door tomorrow (Friday). Both WHCC and MPIX are excellent IMO and I would pick them in the order I have listed.

6. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I would add a vote for MPIX. The quality seems very good to me, they offer choices such as lustre coating (for fingerprint protection) and mounting.

I just signed up for Millers as I wanted to try the textures but a post above mentions $5000 minimum - now I am kind of worried - I probably spend maybe $1500 a year on prints and photobooks absolut MAX - no way I will get to $5000. Panicking a bit now....

Walmart not great in my opinion - "sticky" feel to prints.

My local Ritz are desparate for me to try them, they keep talking about how they can fix color casts etc and will work with me to do my prints just the way I like them - not sure what other's experience has been with Ritz. Their photo books just don't compare to MPIX.

And MPIX deliver next day if you order by 2pm and pay $9.95 shipping (or can do ground for $3 and it usually takes maybe 3 days)

7. I use mpix and WHCC for different things and am happy with both. If pressed for time, I will occasionally get stuff printed at Sam's and I have heard good things about Costco.

Walmart is okay.

I HIGHLY recommend avoiding Walgreens! I have used them twice with horrible results both times. Walgreens has basically ignored my complaints. The second time I received a print and it was basically green. I don't even know how someone could have put it in an envelope and not thought something was wrong. And, as I promised Walgreens, I will continue to try and make sure that nobody else has a similar experience.

8. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Your very first order with Miller's is 50% off so be sure to bundle or your needs into that first order. I don't mean the small stuff. I am talking big mounted prints with special textures. Mu favorite is a 20x30 or 24x30 brush palette print on 3/4 foam core.

btw, Miller's ships Federal Express standard overnight within 24-72 hours. If the shipment is going to the address of record, there is no charge. If you are drop shipping to a customer, the charge is $6 and it will be shipped standard overnight via Fedex.

If you do not hit the $5,000 minimum, just tell them business is slow this year. Who knows you may get another year otherwise they may send you back to MPIX.

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    MPIX for speed
    WHCC for quality
    Pounds second best quality

10. tamplum

tamplum

Feb 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    Wal-Greens managed to create a complete mess out of a whole batch of pictures. Some of them were personal and some were work related. But the entire delivery was horrible. The color was way off, had a sticky look to them. I am not sure HOW you can make pictures look sticky, but they did. Avoid them, like the previous poster mentioned.

Wal-mart was ok, but I would not trust them with anything someone is paying you to deliver. Personal pictures, yea, ok.

I am going to try out a place, my local Nikon store recommended.. local owned Snap Photography.

11. deadmeat

deadmeat

Jul 18, 2008
    Sarasota, FL
    Most of the develping houses in this area have basically dried up.

Our options are Walgreens, Walmart, Sams, etc.

Walmart was eh.

I just recently got some glossies of my fave. pics from Sebring developed at Ritz/Wolf, and they came out looking nice and sharp. Also, the guy in the photo lab owned his own chain of developers before he finally shut down and went to Ritz. He will work with you until he is red in the face. Very patient. He recently took an old WWII film reel, took a frame out of it, turned it from a postive and developed it, and then worked with the customer to get the best contrast/sharpness in it. It came out looking stellar. Where else can you get that kind of service?

Havent had experience with anyone else.

-meaty

12. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    I use WHCC and love them but I've used Color Inc in the past. I've been considering going back to them because they're close to me and I'm all for supporting local businesses. They do a really nice job but use Fuji paper whice I don't like. The color pops a little too much for me. Kodak has a more organic feel to the color.

13. bqv1910

bqv1910

Aug 28, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    How do I get setup with WHCC ? I read thru their site a bit and not sure I get the $5000 limit. Do I need to apply for their credit card or something ? thanks.

14. I signed up with Millers about 2 months ago. Some things have changed since ACena signed up i guess. They no longer require any minimum. And they don't give 50% off the first order.

But I agree that they are hands down the best printer I have tried. I have tried MPIX, Meridian, Bay Photo and now I use Millers.

Miller's gives FREE overnight shipping, which is worth a lot sometimes. MPIX charges I think about 10 bucks for overnight, the other labs I have tried charge ACTUAL chargers for overnight (was $62 on one of my orders at Bay once)

The thing I like best about Millers is their color correction. It is hands down the best color correction I have seen. I am slightly color blind so this is VERY important to me. MPIX color correction is automated, they do not hand check each and every file the way Millers does.

Carole, a member here, sent the same file to Millers and to MPIX, selecting color correction for both. She told me the Millers print look 1000 times better than the MPIX print, it was no comparison.

Miller's isn't cheap by any means, however.

15. Hi Rodney

What is Millers website address?

16. You do not need to get their credit card. Give them a call and they will be glad to help you get set up with them. They are helpful and nice. You should also be aware that they have you send in five images that you want to have printed and the order is free. They do that so that you can calibrate your monitor with their prints. Once you are set up it is a very simple matter to upload prints. I have been with them for four years and have never had a problem with them at all. The only limit I am aware of is that to obtain free shipping your orders must be $12 or higher.

17. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I find their small prints very high but large prints are fair and reasonable.

18. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I actually like Wolf's system at www.ritzpix.com as it allows you to crop the shot however you want and also provides a multitude of sizes you can print out at so that you don't have to crop the shot. I never knew you could pring something out in an 8x12...I just upload and choose the Wolf Camera store on my way home from work and pick them up on the way home.

19. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Worked for me

Had some pics from our Hawaii vacation I wanted blown up. Adoramapix did a nice job and was very fast. I love the secure way they packed the prints for shipping (about 5 different jobs). Told them not to make any changes and the pics came out just right. Only that experience though so ask others.

I use WalMart sometimes and the FUJI kiosk service seems ok, but don't have enough control over the output for my taste. The kiosk monitor they use to show you what your prints will look is lousy.

Ed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.