Best place to have a 20x30 done?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Bill K, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Bill K

Bill K

Jan 29, 2006
    Reno, Nevada
    Hello everyone..
    I am looking to have a 20x30 print done from my D200, I am looking for someplace online that will print a 20x30 glossy. I have used MPIX before and didn't like the flat paper they used, My question is where you might think is worth while to check out.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill K

2. I've never printed a photo 20x30, but I am extremely interested in others' experience, as you are.

I did send the same set of 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10 pics to several different labs to see what difference I could detect. I had them printed in both matte and glossy (as well as MPix metallic, which was horrendous) Bottom line for me was that no lab made all the pics look better than any other. To my (less trained) eye, there was very little difference between labs. Glossy looked much better than matte, of course.

I sent to MPix, EzPrint, Photopipe and :)redface:) Snapfish. A small sample to be sure, but instructive for me nevertheless. I was so hoping that a more professionally oriented lab would produce a noticeably better print, but meh...

Honestly, Snapfish was perfectly fine. My Zenfolio site uses MPix and EzPrint, and I tend to use EzPrint.

I am really curious to hear what online labs people have been impressed with!

3. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    I've done one with Costco and it was pretty good. I don't have anything to compare it too so I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions as well. I think Rich Gibson also used Costco once with good results.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    mpix seems to be the most popular and best place.
    There is another one and can't think of the name
    Wh
    something

5. White House Custom Colour? No personal experience, but I've heard good things about them.

6. LB Jefferies

LB Jefferies

Jan 29, 2006
    I've had consistently good experiences with WHCC and recommend them highly. :smile:

7. Bill K

Bill K

Jan 29, 2006
    Reno, Nevada
    Thanks everyone.
    WHCC sounds good, The only drawback I see is to do 20x30 they say one has to order 6 or more and I only need one for my wall...
    Thanks again.

8. I've had mine done at Adorama.com and from Kodak. Both turned out great - Adorama is much more reasonable in $$$. I hear MPIX does them well also.

9. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    I use Printroom. I don't know if they will print if you are not a member or whatever they call it. I have printed all sizes up to 24X36 and have been happy with what they have done.

10. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
  11. mpix.com worked for me.

12. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

try printroom they have a free gallery you can upload to and the pricing is great with print quality above average

13. I have done a couple with MPix and I thought the results were good. I will have to try a different place for comparison.

14. I have used Mpix. Always heard good things about them. But....Last time I sent in 8 x 10 glossy orders. One of the photos came back with a color change (not requested by me). But the change was incorrect, the original was correct. When I printed out the exact same file, the color was correct. So I figure someone at Mpix had their own opinion of what the color should be and decided to do me a favor.

I had some metallics printed and I agree, they are awful.

15. LB Jefferies

LB Jefferies

Jan 29, 2006
    Where did you find that info?

16. Bill K

Bill K

Jan 29, 2006
    Reno, Nevada
    I just re read the pricing, and yes you can buy 1 print, I was looking at the wrong pricing table, I was looking at the Thrifty pricing table. Sorry.

17. LB Jefferies

LB Jefferies

Jan 29, 2006
    No prob. :smile: I was thinking that was a dramatic change in the way they had been doing things. :eek:

18. Staples office supply. I've had 24x36 prints made there ($40) and have been extremely pleased.

19. I had a print this size done at smugmug with good results. My initial print had some color issues, but they reprinted it without question.