Best place to order a D200?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 28, 2005.

1. So I have money burning a hole in my wallet and I want to pre-order a D200 now! So where's the best place to pre-order? Is everyone going Ritz Camera? Any other good vendors that still has a fairly short list so I get my camera on delivery? Thanks!

2. Jonathan, I ordered mine from Ritz on November 1. I would call B&H Photo on release date since B&H is not taking preorders.

Anthony

3. I don't know about "best" but I have had great service from Roberts Imaging and Service Photo in Baltimore. In this case I have my D200 ordered from my local brick-and-mortar store, as the differential in price is not significant. When I bought my D2H, for example, between $300 price difference and almost $300 in tax, ordering via the 'Net was a no-brainer. But for a hundred dollars or so I'll give my local shop the business, keep them around, and have someone who will back me up if any problems occur.

4. papa85

papa85 Guest

Berger Bros

I have ordered much in my past and never ran into the quality and knowledge of the guys at BERGER BROS ( Larry ) Just a great guy and no rush talk . It is my #1 place to order and you will not be unhappy if you buy from BERGER BROS, Brad is the owner. Great Guy Also.:smile: :biggrin:

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I usually use Service Photo in Balt MD, smaller shop with B&H pricing, USA goods only, no grey. Their name sums it up....

6. marc

marc Guest

suny's in la, b&h, nyc, roberts, indianapolis

these are all very pro and well thought of dealers

i do not think you would be disappointed if you contact any of them

marc

7. Hmm, I think I'll just order from B&H, but the trick is when to know the release date for the D200 I presume? :p

8. AFAIK, and that is worth exactly what it is worth, is Dec. 15. Unless my local store is wrong, and they have been correct in the past, that is when their first shipment is due in store. What they don't know is "how many", I am hoping for at least 50, so that mine is in that batch...

This date is consistent with others I have seen and spoken with as well.

If you don't mind my asking, with all the good stores in the LA area, why order via the 'Net? I can't imagine that the deal will be that much better overall for at least 6 or 8 months. Our sales tax here is much like yours, so I'm looking at around 150-160 in tax versus shipping, so maybe a $100 difference for the piece of mind of local backing. As I noted above, I made quite a different decision when I ordered my D2H, as that was more in the $500-$600 range, and that was "first shipment" difference.

9. What often works pretty well is to just watch for the release, and have B&H's notification email set up.

I have found I don't always get the B&H email, but if you know the camera is out, it isn't that hard to catch them with stock and order one up.

I did this a few months ago for a new camera that came out.

Feel free to PM me your email address, as I spend silly amounts of time in front of a computer anyway, and I will be watching for the D200, though I am not ordering one. Just that my work keeps me right here, so such silly things are a nice distraction.

10. merlin50

merlin50

Nov 5, 2005
    Chicagoland
    I've ordered and purchased everything from Brad Berger ever since I found him. You will not find a better. more reputable or personable place to deal with IMO. Plus he's throwing in a couple of freebies for Nikon Cafe members.

Dave

11. Chev71

Chev71 Guest

Hi Dave

Are they getting it any sooner than the 15th? What kind of freebies?

12. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Samy's

Jonathan,

I have found Samy's (several stores in LA area) to be great to deal with, if you would prefer a local dealer. BH or Roberts are also great-and no tax.

13. I can't stand sales tax. I grew up in Oregon, and we never had sales tax. If I can avoid paying sale tax, I will! That's why I'd prefer to order outside of California!