Best Price for 70-200 VR Lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TheKO, Nov 18, 2005.

1. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Its birthday time for me and wife is asking where to buy the lens. I thought I was seeing them for around $1200- 1300 USD. All I can find now is in the $1600-1700 range.

Any ideas/help?

2. BH Photo offers the 70-200VR for $1630
    Nikon's rebate is $150
    BH Show Special is $100

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=15896312

Your net = $1380

The only drawback is, you'll have to wait for delivery.

3. photosketch

photosketch Guest

Official import vs. parallel import

I think you're recalling pricing for parallel import items (gray market) vs. official import.

Remember, official import items will be covered under the manufacturer's warranty (in the US that's 1+4 years extended). Gray market items will not receive any official support (Nikon USA will not service a gray market product, period.)

$1600-1700 is about right. Remember, you get what you pay for and part of that is 1) customer service from your vendor and 2) warranty support from the manufacturer. I would get an official import in this case as the AF-S motor or the VR mechanism makes for a complex lens. If you were talking an AF 50mm f/1.8D...well, not much to go wrong there, and they are pretty inexpensive so I'd be okay with a gray market lens (having said that, my fifty is an official import).

That B&H price looks very tempting, I must resist the temptation...

4. man if you are getting THAT for your birthday, WOO HOO come xmas!
    good luck to you. My birthday is in 2 weeks, rumors are that I am getting a sweater.

5. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks - For Quick Turnaround...

Info has been passed to Wife. Hopefully I get the lens - sweater not needed in Florida!

6. Wize guy:redface:

7. Well I got mine from a place called Roberts Imaging in Indiana. http://www.robertsimaging.com give then a call the price on their website is what nikon has them post but the price is the same as BHPhoto...

8. Humm, i was wishing for a 200-400VR lens..

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I usually buy from B&H, but on the recommendation of a friend, I checked with Roberts Imaging before getting my D2H. They gave me a good deal and are very nice folks to work with.

10. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Kelly,

Check Cameta Camera, as they usually have better prices than B&H. I've bought several big $$$ items from them with no problems whatsoever.

11. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Its Ordered!

Ray,
    Thanks for the info. I ordered from B&H today. They are out of stock as they told me they cannot keep them in stock very long and Nikon provides a short inbound supply at any given time.
    But the good news - My kids went in together and bought me a second SB-800 Flash! Now I guess I have to learn how to use the thing(s).:smile:

12. I will second that! I bought my 200-400 VR from cameta and they were absolutely fine folks with a great price. Unfortunately they got the last big chunk of diposible monies so I have been dormant for a while.
    Dave

13. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Hey, Kelly...

tell your wife and kids that my birthday is coming up soon, too!

(It's a long shot, I know. But I'm desperate, so I figured what the heck!)

14. "Best Price for 70-200 VR Lens "

Pay whatever it takes to get one in your kit - it is a truely awsome lens!

d1a8f0b6.

using a TC17EII (net result=340mm)