Best solution for carrying gear?

I just started getting into studio lighting. I now have three strobes (Einsteins), a couple of softboxes and light stands. I would also like to store some of the accessories (grids, reflectors, filters, etc.). I guess I'm hoping for a solution that will accomodate most of my lighting gear--so I don't have to be lugging multiple bags/cases.

I'm not looking for a solution that would support air travel. This would only be to help me get things in the car and out to local locations.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent way to carry the gear? I'm looking for a case that is long enough to hold the light stands, but not so high that it's overly cumbersome to carry.

Earlier today, I was looking at some of the larger clear plastic storage cases with wheels at Lowes. It seems like they would hold most of the gear, but most of the cases were really deep.

Thanks in advance...

Glenn

It might not be what you have in mind but I use a Scuba Pro dive bag.
http://www.scubapro.com/europe/uk/scubapro-products/bags/bags/jumbo-bag

It carries all my stands, umbrella's, collapsed soft boxes, cables etc. I keep the delicate stuff such as flash heads in another Scuba Pro bag with a rigid frame. It's no longer available but similar to a
http://www.scubapro.com/europe/uk/scubapro-products/bags/bags/caravan-bag

Mainly I use these bags as they are built from incredibly strong material, are designed for heavy loads and are very portable (wheels, carry straps, handles). The use I put them to is nothing compared to the battering they must get from divers using them for their primary function. Also I find that the price premium that seems to be added to any product with the word 'photographic' in it's name doesn't apply to diving kit. The Jumbo bag is about $80 and the rigid pull along about $160.

We use a Photoflex Transpac lighting case. It will hold a bunch of stuff and wheels easily.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253512-REG/Photoflex_FV_SLBAG1KIT_Transpac_Single_Kit_Case.html
Pelican makes some excellent cases. You may want to check out their 1700 line

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=4458&N=4232860878+4294953685

I picked up a 1654 to fit two Speedotron power packs, 5 heads, and all the cables. You may want to re-think the multiple case thing. Just with my packs and heads, the one case weighs about 125lbs. Lightstands an modifiers go in a separate bag.
Thanks! You've given some great ideas.

Glenn

Here is what I use often...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_9700 by danbroadrick, on Flickr

It is a used Baby Jogging stroller, (Found on Craig's for under $50.00),
A coach's bat bag, (Found at a Major Sporting Goods store for under $60.00),
An Alien Bee Boom stand adapter, (for $12.00 at PCB's),
And a five foot "Stand", (salvaged from a broken stand), attached with the Boom adapter.

In addition it has a mesh area down low for the Vagabond.

It will carry just about anything I want to put in it, and I usually carry
3 or 4 AB's, stands, modifier's and my Domke Camera bag.

It may be a little heavier than what it was designed for, but It does an
awesumm job, and the bag also has wheels, and straps, and it will hold a
ton of gear!!!!

Sorry for jumping on your post Glen, but I just got a set of PocketWizards FlexTT5 (4) and a Mini TT1. Anyone have a convenient way to transport these? I use a TT Airport Security case to transport my bodies and lens, but there isn't room in there. I would like to get some sort of padded but smaller bag/case that could put the PWs in. Thoughts?

Here's my Pelican 1654.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The 1205CX and 405 Black Line packs are on the left with a cable. 4 Additional cables fit just to the right, and then the 5 heads with a small space left for sync cables fit on the right side. I still need to get a cover for my last 202VF head.

I like the Pelican gear because it's water tight and tough as hell. In fact, it stood up to the first torture test, the washing machine on the 2nd floor (I know, what idiot does that?) in the town house I'm renting was leaking and water passed through into the living room and was dripping on my case! Fortunately the Pelican was up to the task of keeping my gear safe from water drops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my Pelican 1654.

[URL]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5183/5575699292_49567a3943_b.jpg[/url]

The 1205CX and 405 Black Line packs are on the left with a cable. 4 Additional cables fit just to the right, and then the 5 heads with a small space left for sync cables fit on the right side. I still need to get a cover for my last 202VF head.

I like the Pelican gear because it's water tight and tough as hell. In fact, it stood up to the first torture test, the washing machine on the 2nd floor (I know, what idiot does that?) in the town house I'm renting was leaking and water passed through into the living room and was dripping on my case! Fortunately the Pelican was up to the task of keeping my gear safe from water drops.
Thanks for your recommendation.

I think it really comes down to the fact that I'll need at least two bags. I can store my three strobes, cords, and some modifiers in one bag. The other bag will be devoted to light stands and two softboxes.

Glenn

Glenn, The bag I bought will hold 4 stands, ( 1 little back light stand, and 3 or more 10 footers)
AND three AB's in their bags, as well as all the cords and such,
In addition to the modifier's I like to carry along (32 inch PCB Softbox, 10 by 36 strip PCB Softbox, & 47 in Octabox.)

And did I mention it has a lot of straps, handles, and wheels!!!

I looked around for quite a while, and this was the best solution I found.
As I said, it cost around $60.00, I think...

BTW, The bag and stroller fold flat for storage...

Or you can keep your gear in the bag all ready to go!!!

It is quite roomy!!!! But the 13 footers won't fit, Darn.
So I just lay them on top while I push the cart around to various locations.

I don't know how sturdy you are looking for, but I have heard baseball gear bags work well (garagesales are your friend) and I use a Christmas wrapping paper box for light stands, reflectors and umbrellas. These just get stored in my closet, though.

Glen - I recently went to a ****'s Sporting Goods store and bought a lacrosse equipment bag. Very rugged, multiple pockets and openings, and long enough to carry a couple of light stands with my flash heads, umbrellas and other gear. Very affordable; I think it cost less than $40.00.

Fred

Glen - I recently went to a ****'s Sporting Goods store and bought a lacrosse equipment bag. Very rugged, multiple pockets and openings, and long enough to carry a couple of light stands with my flash heads, umbrellas and other gear. Very affordable; I think it cost less than $40.00.

Fred
Thanks everyone for your recommendations!

I ended up going with two bags. First, all three of my Einstein strobes in their soft cases, extension cords, reflectors, portable battery, etc. fit very nicely in this Impact lighting kit bag.

Then, I grabbed one of my old bat bags from ****'s Sporting Goods. It's fairly rugged and holds two softboxes, my umbrellas and light stands.

I'll still need to carry my seamless paper with those stands (which are stored in a carrying case) and camera gear separately. But, I think this is manageable now! I purchased a small, foldable, cart so that I can roll a few items around. I'll still need to make a couple of trips.

Glenn

I bought a large rolling scuba bag from Sports Chalet. It will fit my 2 light stands, tripod, 3 umbrellas, 2 backdrops, and odds and ends. It rolls and has the tuck-away handle as well. The donwsides are: only 2 pockets, one inside (small) and one outside; and, it is already wearing out on the ends from the sharp points of the light stands constantly poking and rubbing away at it. The bonus is that it only cost about $60, and lasted for 2 years, and it's still good for the next year or so... not too bad to have to replace it at that price every few years.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom