Best Time To Start Collecting Social Security

Talk to me about part D as I need at least 20 bottles of insulin every 90 days.
If you are serious, part D varies from state to state. The best plan I could get was with Walmart and Humana. Humana will send my prescriptions to me, or I can pick them up at Walmart. There is a co-pay until I hit $440 which is my deductible. I only take blood pressure pills, and antibiotics to use when I go to a dentist (infections can get into my knee after total knee replacement) and don't usually go over $440/year.

Going to apply for Medicare in 2 months - Need to learn about Part D too.
Alex, go to https://q1medicare.com/PartD-Search...d&utm_medium=textlink&utm_campaign=TopLeftBox Enter your state, and it will show you available plans. I chose the less expensive one ($17/month). That costs more than my average prescription costs, but one never knows when you might need an expensive medication. In Alaska, there were only a few plans to chose from, and a lower deductible costs far more. By the way, payments for B (mine is 134/month) and D come out of your social security if you already are enrolled. The supplemental insurance (I use USAA) are also $134/month, and it is billed separately. It covers the co-pay from B, and whatever Medicare doesn't cover.

Last edited:
USAA is the best insurance company I know. Never a problem, and they keep refunding money when they make too much. Recently had $150 applied to my home/car insurance. I called them up when I was getting knee replacement surgery, and they said I didn't need to let them know, just go get the surgery and they would take care of their part of the bill. I have been with them for 45 years.

Thinking about how clueless I am about this discussion about part D reminds me how fortunate I am that my wife is so good about handling this sort of thing that I don't even bother looking into it on my own. Better yet, she actually enjoys keeping up with this stuff, which is nearly unimaginable to me.

Last edited:
Real Name
Randy
Signing up for all of this and adding 3 supplemental insurance companies (medical,dental,vision) was quite a task but it's worth it. My medical bills last year topped $500k and my part was $0. If you don't go with a Medicare Advantage plan (that bunches all the support on my 1 policy) then be sure to get at least a Supplemental policy for the 20% Medicare doesn't pay. 20% of $500k is $100k, OUCH

Thinking about how clueless I am about this discussion about part D reminds me how fortunate I am that my wife is so good about handling this sort of thing that I don't even bother looking into it on my own. Better yet, she actually enjoys keeping up with this stuff, which is nearly unimaginable to me.
Something else we have in common. Aren't we lucky?

Whenever you start (or wait) to take SS benefits, the actuarial tables they use are set so you collect the same amount over your (well, an average) lifetime.
The key to knowing when to start is to know your date of death. Kinda impossible but sometimes given your genetics that can be a helpful clue.

It annoys me that half your annual benefit is counted as income at US income tax time.

I am with JeeperDon, ditch the work for a side job and enjoy life. That is all I have to offer.
13 years ago cancer forced me into retirement on disability. I truly enjoyed my work and seriously missed it. Yes, I am holding two conflicting thoughts. Health is everything, enjoy it while you have it.

Yes, but is interesting how those payments work. My wife gets her payment on the 2nd Wednesday of a month, I get mine on the forth Wednesday. It doesn't seem to be based on SSN, at least her's starts with a 5, amd mine starts with a 2. We both signed up at the same time, but she initiated the call to SS, so maybe that is the case.

Yes, but is interesting how those payments work. My wife gets her payment on the 2nd Wednesday of a month, I get mine on the forth Wednesday. It doesn't seem to be based on SSN, at least her's starts with a 5, amd mine starts with a 2. We both signed up at the same time, but she initiated the call to SS, so maybe that is the case.
I think it's birthday.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom