1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

best way to batch resize for previews...?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by iLLMaCK, Aug 27, 2008.

1. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I need to know the best way to resize (to whatever size I'd like) a batch of photos. I've never really been able to figure this out.

I'd like to resize so I can use them for easier uploads for previews, etc.

Thanks a million!

2. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    ever use infranview?

it has a batch conversion/ re size that's real nice!

3. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Never used it, or heard of it.

4. In CS3, two choices, both optimal if you create a resize action first. Set the action to resize to your specified dimensions and dpi and file format for preview.
    Then File> Automate>Batch or
    File>Scripts>Image Processor

From there you'd choose the action to run for a folder-choose the folder and the destination folder. Even if you choose the same folder in "Image Processor" it will creat a subfolder for you.

5. Use Irfanview as mentioned here. It is so easy to do and you get good results!

6. Dave, what software do you have?? Best to try and utilise what you have if you can.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I do it in Lightroom. Quick and easy.

8. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

CS3
    Capture

I need to get lightroom

9. I've come to like smugmug. I just save the full resolution image at JPEG 6, which brings the size down to around 1MB. Then I upload it to my smugmug account, and set the largest size to whatever size I want them to view it at. Not sure if that's an option you would even consider using or not, but there it is. ;) 

10. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Several options.

PC or Mac -- Lightroom is easy, select the images and export
    PC or Mac -- CS3 is easy, in bridge select the images, goto Tools/Photoshop/Image Proccessor. When Photoshop opens you can save as Jpeg and set quality and resize based on pixels or create an action to resize and run it on all the files.

PC only -- or if you really just need quick and dirty smaller files there is a windows power toy that will resize file direct in windows explorer. After you install the program you just select the files in windows explorer and an option is added to the right click menu. A dialog box comes up that lets you select the size you want. I used it until I want to 64-bit, it does not work in 64 bit XP.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.