1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Better viewfinder???

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by BUCKEYE BIKER, Jul 5, 2008.

1. I am currently shooting with a D50, and was wondering if other DSLR's would have a better (easier to see or larger) viewfinder. I know the Katzeye screen is available, but the price has kept me from trying it without actually being able to see the difference before investing the money.

Which DSLR upgrade would show me an improvement in this area? I have been thinking of the D200, due to the attractive pricing recently. Would the D200 viewfinder be a good choice, or about the same as I have?

Any comments or advice will be considered.

Thanks in advance.

2. the D3 viewfinder is excellent
    the D300 almost as good

the D200 doesn't have the brightest viewfinder
    not sure how it stacks up against your D50, however

3. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    The D200 viewfinder is better but still sucky compared to the one on the D3.

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I have had my D50 for almost two years now and I have to say that the viewfinder on it isn't really that great.

My friend has a D200 and 'cause he's such a nice person he sometimes lets me use it, the viewfinder on the 200 is better however I'm not really sure if it's that much better or even as much of an improvement as I thought it would be. The D200 is quite a step up on the whole however, I'd certainly like one if I could afford it. If you're upgrading purely for a better VF you might find yourself dissapointed, however if you're after other nice things too then the D200 is still a very nice tool.

As Greg pointed out above the modern high end bodies do have excellent viewfinders, however they are of course very expenisive.

5. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I put a KatzEye screen in my D200 and it made an enormous difference. If you plan to keep the D50, spend the money - it's worth it!

It's so good, if it's made available for the D700, I'm going to have one installed as soon as it's in production!

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

the viewfinder on the d200 is HUGE compared to the d50. fact, it's noticably larger on the d40 by comparrison. the tiny viewfinder on the d50 is one of it's biggest handicaps.

7. Thanks, Greg. I haven't been able to get my hands on a D200 to compare. The closest shop selling Nikon is about 65 miles from home.

Sorry to hear that, Phil. The D3 is way out of the budget, according to the finance director, lol.

Thanks, Robert. Well, the viewfinder wasn't the only reason, but I was hoping it was the finest Nikon has ever put on a DSLR:biggrin: I was also wanting the extra pixels along with the other goodies on the D200. More research is in order, I guess.

I'll have to think about that. Getting a little lust for another body, but have to stay within my means. Thought about selling the D50, if I make a change.

Thanks nute. I will have to go on a scouting trip one of these days and compare viewfinders. Columbus is about the nearest city having camera shops that stock the D200. Is the finder any brighter? I remember you have/had a D50. I have been reading specs, etc., but the numbers don't really mean much to me.

8. mfletch

mfletch

Jul 16, 2007
    Texas
    I don't have a D50. But, if it's like the D70, then the D200 is a big step up. The D300 is a noticable improvement over that. I only wish I had a D3 to compare.

9. Thank you for your reply. I hope to get to a shop for some hands on comparisons soon.

10. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    A D2? I went from a D50 to a D2H and it was like.. wow

11. Katz eye wouldn't affect the size of the viewfinder; it's for manually adjusting the focus more precisely. Also the magnifiers sold do not increase the field of view; the simply magnify the existing scene (make it larger) but do not widen the field of view.

12. Thanks for the reply. I'm sure there are a lot of options to help these old eyes of mine. Time to start looking. Still thinking D200 or mayyyybeeee D300 if I can talk myself and wife into the extra expense... I'm easy, it's her I have to convince:biggrin:

13. Thanks, Rich. I was aware the Katz eye did not make the viewfinder look larger. I was just trying to find a solution to help in manually focusing while macro shooting. As stated before, I just need to go and compare other options to my D50. Also I am probably just lusting for a better camera body:tongue:.

14. Aha! The secret agenda comes out. Clearly a case of NAS.

15. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Tom, just keep in mind, the D200/300 benefit enormously from the KatzEye screen, too (they use the same screen in both bodies). The stock screen isn't made for manual focus, so isn't nearly bright enough. Plus, the lack of a split screen doesn't help. I have a few older, fast manual lenses, and the KatzEye made them usable; where before, I had difficulty getting consistently sharp images.

16. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    I understand that the kayzeye screen is brighter than the original screen, but how does a split screen help? And after installing a 3rd party screen, is the autofocus affected?

17. Oops! I'm caught.:redface:

18. Thanks, Vinman. I will keep that in mind.

19. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

Also The D50 As The D70 Has A Mirror Prisum Viewfinder Vs The Glass Optic Prisim Of The Higher Up Models.a Worthwhile Step Up To Be Sure.

20. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

Also The D50 As The D70 Has A Mirror Prisum Viewfinder Vs The Glass Optic Prisum Of The Higher Up Models.a Worthwhile Step Up To Be Sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.