Between Games

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 16, 2007.

1. When you have time to wait between games, you tend to note (and shoot) things you don't normally think of. Here are a few from last Sunday's rare double-header:

The field being groomed.
    [​IMG]

The linesman doing his work
    [​IMG]

An Assistant Coach helping out.
    [​IMG]

Players lining up for box lunches.
    [​IMG]

And carrying their dogs and mustard back to the duggout.
    [​IMG]

Other photogs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a relaxed "pep-rally" before the second game.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, after winning a 1-0 pitching dual in the first, they were too relaxed and got trounced in the second. Lesson learned: no more dogs before games, fellahs!

2. Harry,

What ISO are you shooting at? It would seem based on the photos, and your settings (1/1000 sec at f/4) that you're shooting in daytime with decent light. I'm surprised at the color noise in several of the shots.

3. I've been experimenting...rarely less than 400 when shooting sports. Unfortunately, whether due to the D50 or Adobe Elements 4.0, I can't seem to get ISO to report out when shooting JPEG...so I have to go into a third party software to be sure on a shot by shot basis.

Typically I start at 400 to gain shutter speed (vs 200), then move to 800 and put auto-iso on as it gets darker. The first shot here, however, was accidentally shot at 1600, and is the worst from a noise standpoint IMO.

Recently I have experimented with setting the shutter speed and apature manually (usually f/2.8 with my 80-200 and a shutter speed of 1/2000. Then using auto iso set at 800....that's my guess as to what most of these were taken at, mostly 800, then up to 1600 as it gets darker. I know I am out of both ISO and shutter speed by the seventh inning of these night games.

As to PP, I am trying to get away from the use of noise reduction software unless absolutely necessary...in other words, if I judge the noise level objectionable. I have noticed that the red of the Giants shirts seems extraordinarily prone to show noise if manipulated at all in pp. But sometimes I am forced to leave it as the lesser or several evils. I am reading the D50 ByThom eBook and he mentions the high sensitivity to red of the D50...I haven't yet figured out what, if anything, I am doing to contribute to it.

My current technique is to use a custom setting with 2x sharpening, 1x contrast, and 1x saturation. When well exposed the jpegs need little other than ofttimes some shadow lightening and midrange contrast to better show faces. If I've had to do a substantial crop I also apply edge sharpening. And to tell the truth, at 800 iso the noise level rarely bothers me (it clearly does at 1600).

I'd be interested in what you and others experience at iso800? Especially like to hear from users of D70s and D50s, or those who have traded up from them.

4. Expecially with a D50, I use Auto ISO all the time, I just set the shutter speed high enough that the lens always shoots wide open (Always a fence in my way so I want it wide open), And the ISO will compensate.
    If I notice the ISO jumping up above the 640 range, I will change the shutter speed (if possible) And then just deal with up to 1600 untill it gets too dark to get action shots..

I say especially with the d50 because Auto ISO unlocks the 1/3 steps of the ISO

Of course with the D200 i just bought its a little nicer since you can set a max ISO. But The d50 auto ISO is still awesome

5. I just checked all these photos with Opanda. Two are at iso800. The remainder have not ISO, so must have been done under auto-iso...so in this case, somewhere between 800 and 1600, or at 1600.