1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Beverly Hills Cycling Classic

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by kgilby, Jul 14, 2008.

1. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    This is my 1st attempt shooting this type of event, and I want to thank those who helped out with suggestions on how to do it. I decided to only take my 300 f/4, as our daughter was getting married the next day and I could only take about 45 minutes to shoot. It was a lot of fun to watch, and the neighborhood turnout was huge. C&C please.

The rest of the gallery can be seen here: http://www.pbase.com/kgilbertsen/2008_cycling_classic&page=all

2. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Any suggestions for improvement?

I could use some pointers for improving the number of 'keepers' in this kind of event. Your comments are welcomed. Thanks.

3. I like the symetry of No. 2, I might have tried to pop the riders with a little fill flash, and changed shooting position for more variety, (perhaps shoot low from the inside of the turn w/a wide angle lens) nice work though.

4. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks, Brooks. I assumed a flash would have been too distracting to the riders?, especially as I was situated right in front of them. I really didn't have much time to shoot, so I decided to concentrate on trying just 1 lens, from a single spot on the course. I would have liked to try the inside turn wide angle shot, as you suggested, and hopefully will get to another race in the area this summer to try some different angles. Thanks again for your comments.

5. wendy

wendy

Jul 5, 2008
    PA
    WOW! kgilby. I see that you made it to the race. I think that you did well for a first try. Great crops and good position to get their eyes. I would suggest standing anywhere along the course where the sun hits the cyclists faces. Would it have helped if you stood where the people in the orange jerseys were standing?

Thanks for sharing... I recognize a few of those faces!!

6. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks Wendy. I really didn't notice the sunlight hitting the riders until I got home and put them up on the screen - I was too intent on figuring out how to keep things in focus, framing, etc. I will try to keep that kind of detail in mind next time out.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I think that you did a nice job with this event. It is very tough shooting subject matter that is moving fast in shaded areas.

8. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks Frank, here's 1 more

I definitely enjoyed shooting it, I'll have to keep an eye out for races in the area.

Here's another take on one from that day -

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.