Beware of selling scheme on eBay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elf_8, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Hi everyone. I just pinned this one and thought to share the call for attention.

A Nikon D2X selling on eBay, with only one day left in the auction. The description invites to email the seller directly for details. When you do, this is what you get :

"Dear Sir,

This is Brand New camera and has 1 year international warranty.
    I asked you to contact me before bidding because how you saw the listing time is 1 day, so I must sell this item fast.I must tell you that I'm with business in EUROPE(LONDON, UK). I'll be staying here for another 10 months(at least), this is why I want sell this product fast and for a good price.
    I think that we can arrange the deal for $2500 and we will make this transaction with SquareTrade.You only must to agree the price and if you are ready to start this transaction, you must send me your full name and address for the delivery. After that I will contact SquareTrade with our details and I will drop there the goods.After I will drop the product at them they will contact you via email to send you the invoice and the next steps that you need to do.
    You will must to send them the payment and after they will have the payment confirmation will release the product to be delivered. When you will receive the product, after you will inspect it and SquareTrade will have your confirmation that all it`s ok, they will release the payment to me.

Please let me know your answer and we can have a deal right now.

Thank you,
    Matt"

Smells fishy ? International warranty ? Has to sell fast ? 2500 for a new D2X ?
    Now, SquareTrade has a warning in their Fraud Prevention section on their website:
    "DO NOT SEND MONEY TO WESTERN UNION / MONEYGRAM / WIRE TRANSFER !!!

SquareTrade Never Takes Payment on Behalf of a Seller:
    Scam emails will often request the consumer to pay via a money transfer service, such as Western Union or Money Gram, an escrow service, or by money order. BEWARE! SquareTrade will NEVER act as an escrow agent for a seller and will NEVER hold or transfer money on behalf of an auction or seller. "

So be aware and act wisely...

2. EBay is the greatest, I got a lot of my gear there. I never, ever got a bad surprise (buying and selling) after about 70 transactions.
    That said, one needs to "tread with great caution" on the Big Auction Site.
    Unfortunately there are many crooks out there. This obviously is one of them Christian.
    Of course, the same goes for the Internet as a whole, many ways to get stung.
    Sites like this (and ones like the Cafe) provide much easier comfort.
    I got my D1x via Nikonians from someone in L.A. Did my usual background check and got a great deal for a pristine camera (to replace my D100), complete with all documentation, invoices etc. Same goes for my AF-S 80-200 f/2.8 - great, honest deal.

I fully agree with Christian's statement: be aware and act wisely...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2005
  3. Precisely Frits, note that the wise guy wanted to deal outside of eBay.

4. Christian,
    I just sent you a PM (OT).

5. I go by the maxim, if it sounds too good it probably is. Thanks for the update of one of the latest scams.

6. A plethora of red flags:

Internatonal
    Cheap
    Quick, quick, quick!
    Terrible diction.
    No MC/Visa.
    Circumvent Ebay control.

An expensive lesson this would be for the greedy or the foolhardy.