Bewicks Wren.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by kramp, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Continuing the Wren theme since there are Marsh, Winter and Carolina Wrens posted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin

2. VERY VERY nice Martin! I have not seen this many wrens in a long time!
    Dave

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Martin, please feel free to give us some particulars on how you shot these images. These are excellant...tack sharp, cropped well and the colors are perfect. The detail is remarkable. How close were you? Which lens? TC?

4. FANTASTIC Martin! I have been trying to get decent shots of the Bewick's here in my yard for weeks now, but they will never sit still and come out in the open where I can get them. Seeing these shots just makes me want to try harder. GREAT stuff!

What time of year were these taken? Is that a perch you setup, or is it just a natural setting?

Where on Vancouver Island are you located?

Cheers

Tim

5. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Wow! More great wren shots. I don't think the Berwicks are around my area. Beautiful bird. Please post some details.

6. Thanks for the comments.

These pictures were take last week, the setup was similar to Tim's I used a blind and I found it makes a big difference for the shyer birds.

I also used flashes for the birds and background, two on the background and three on the bird, for the bird they were one on each side and one above the lens, I had lumiquest soft boxes on the flash by the camera and the one on the left, normally I have the softboxes on the flashes at the sides but I tried something different ended up lot contrastier this way.

The flashes are very close to the stick only a couple of feet away so there is only a very small sweet spot and the positioning of the flashes is very critical a couple of inches up or down can make a big difference.

I drill holes in a stick and jam peanuts into the holes, it takes time for them to get used to looking for the peanuts so you will have to keep putting new ones in, the darn Stellar's Jays can clean out the holes quickly.

Also what helps to get the birds to the stick is hang the suet block off the end they will recognize it and go there right away.

I use the flashes on manual and some of them are older flashes but they all have manual control and optical slaves except the SB-600 so I use it with the SC-29 to trigger the other flashes.

Since I can get closer with the blind I don't have to use the 1.4 tc the 300 f4 af-s has enough reach by itself.

Martin

7. Sweet shots Martin, look awesome..............man I wish I had backyards like yours and Tims. LOL..................

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic shots.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gorgeous Martin. Keep them coming. :smile:

10. More great shots Martin !! :smile: