1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bhutan - Monks, Festivals and more ! ! !

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Butlerkid, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Here are a few shots from our trip to Bhutan. What a wonderful country!

Thanks for looking. Now please comment and provide me with constructive suggestions so that I can improve. I have a major trip coming up and want to have much better results! :smile:

When traveling I seem to always be dealing with either low light, wide contrast, too much clutter, or ???? So, sometimes I process very little, other times I crop and process as necessary. If any of these seem over processed, over sharpened, or whatever, don't hesitate to tell me!

To get a better idea of my shots, you can view more Bhutan photos at:

http://butlerkid.smugmug.com/gallery/5705351_zoFCq/1/351942847_GUNiE#351944398_ngwSs

#1 - Young monk
    [​IMG]

#2 - another young monk
    [​IMG]

#3 - Folk festival
    [​IMG]

#4 - Folk festival
    [​IMG]

#5 - Buddha in sacred tzong
    [​IMG]

#6 - prayer candles
    [​IMG]

#7 - landscape
    [​IMG]

#8 - peeping monks!
    [​IMG]

#9 - stupas seen through prayer flags
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  2. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    I am sorry, but i cant find anything that could be better. I love number 4

great shots

3. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Well - I haven't posted all the BAD ones! :biggrin:

But even good ones can have flaws....

In processing all my shots, I found that way too many shots were soft.

Guess I should have noted that almost all of these were taken with theD200 and the 24-120 VR!

I am now using the D300 and my new 24-70/2.8! :smile:

Thanks!

4. Excellent shots! #3 seems a bit washed out and #4 needs different cropping. I hope this is a crop because the costume is very important and I would include more of it if you have it. Also I would think a more landscape orientation would be better than a near square; feature the character on the left 1/3 with the crowd in the middle-right.

By coincidence the Folk Life Festival which occurs on the Mall in Washington around the 4th of July featured Bhutan this year. I even remarked about the spectacular colors in another thread. What a treat to actually go there!

Thanks for the shots.

5. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Rich:

Thank you so much for your comments!

I agree that #3 lacks strong contrast. The background is a very distant tree. I processed so that the colors of the performer were accurate and let the background just "happen"! :eek: 

As for #4 - my raw shot has the performer basically centered, with no interesting info to the left of him. So, thanks to your comments, I will try to better compose my shots in camera!

Thank you so much! These are just the kind of comments I want!

Did you have a chance to check out my photos on SmugMug?

I'd appreciate further critique!!!!!!

Come on everyone! Give it to me!

6. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Your shots are great. I especially like #1 with the group of young monks.

7. Sorry, I missed those at first. They are great. I particularly like the yak shot and the monastery (?) on the mountainside.

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Rich:

Thanks for looking. I really appreciate it!

9. Great photos!

How did you like Bhutan btw?

I've been contemplating going there for a few years now, but can't justify paying the ridiculous visa fees (Around $200 a day!). I know that includes accomodation and transport, but that can be had for around $10-$20 a day.

I'll definately go one day though, once the government relaxes control a bit.

10. rexv

rexv

Jun 19, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    I second the compliments! Your SmugMug gallery was rewarding, too!

And to piggyback on Jimbojack's interest in going to Bhutan, do you mind sharing your travel arrangements, tour guide, hotel experiences, etc. -- anything that might be helpful to others interested in those aspects?

11. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    We used Rainbow Photo tours.

http://www.rainbowphototours.com/index1.html

The owner, Robin Smillie has been going to Bhutan for years and has managed to get acquainted with many Bhutanese individuals in the Tourism offices. He leads a very good tour.

When we went - every 2 people had their own car, guide and driver. We could stop when and where we wanted. Hotels accommodations ranged from nice to VERY primitive. A couple of times we had to hike 1-2 miles to get to lodging. Porters carried the bags.

If you want more information, please PM me.

12. Fantastic! #1,2 & 8 are my faves. I agree #3 is a bit soft. Have considered the 85mm 1.4D? hehehe.....

13. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thank you Patti!

Lens lust is always tempting me! I'm hoping my new 24-70/2.8 and the D300 will stave off lusting for a little while!

14. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I've re-posted #3 with a little sharpening. I also re-posted #4 in a larger size.

Thanks for looking and please comment!

15. rexv

rexv

Jun 19, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    Thanks, Karen --

-- for the info about Rainbow. I've spent more time absorbing info from their website than any other and have about decided to go with them if I wind up going.

How was the climb up to the Tiger's Nest? Were you permitted to photograph any of the interiors. I think I read somewhere that photography is permitted in a couple of places.

The almost private car travel arrangement sounds very enticing to me. Did that work well for you?

Thanks for more info!

16. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    My husband and I are very physically fit - so the climb to Tiger's Nest didn't seem tough at all. You can take your time - it will just take a little longer. However, there are several places that require hiking up steep slopes. Bhutan is basically straight up or down! Also, sometimes you have to hike to that night's lodging! The porters will carry luggage, but you should pack as light as possible.

You can photograph many interiors - but not the interiors housing religious images.

Having a car with only one other tourist (my husband) and a dedicated driver and a dedicated guide was wonderful! We could really do what we wanted!

Check out my website on smugmug (link in first posting) for other photos.

17. I love 8 and 9 especially

18. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Adam:

Thanks for commenting! #8 is one of my favorites. The young monks were peeking through the railing from the upper floors of the monastery. The buildings were covered with colorful ornate carvings.

19. karen,
    what an excellent thread
    wonderful images
    i'm so happy you took us along on your trip

your smugmug gallery is fantastic.... thanks for the link

20. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Greg -

Thank you SO MUCH for looking and commenting!

Don't hesitate to provide suggestions for improvement! I spend a lot of time here and read a lot on photography and PS - but I don't shoot enough!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.