Bibble - Do u use?

Discussion in 'Other Raw Processors' started by PhotoByMark, May 27, 2007.

1. I downloaded the trial v4.95. I like it. Flexible, colors look better than RSE and a whole lot faster at batch processing than NX. Seems pretty flexible and price is decent. And free upgrade to 5.0 when it comes out. Plus I like the interface, it is similar to RSE which I like.

I think I will buy it.

Comments anyone?

2. Tried it as well. Liked the interface and its workflow (Plus it runs also on Linux). The image quality however, the demosaicing process in particular is significantly behind Capture NX or Raw Magick Lite (though the later one needs far more time to process in its highest quality setting).
    As long as it doesn't catch up with regard to that, I think I will not change.

3. I like and use 4.9.5pro but you do need to use the demosaicing artifact reduction setting on standard I find to get the best results.

Phillip.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Mark
    That is a very good program. A ton better than RSE:>)))))))
    I have it but still use Nikon Capture 4.4.2

5. I noticed that Bibble doesn't resolve as much detail as NX or RML (on selected NEFs, those where it became apparent), and on others it's showing artifacts, where NX partly does also, while RML didn't.
    Also I think RML is best for its noise handling already in the demosaicing stage, but then it takes ages to process, so "you get what you pay for".
    I also found the "artifact reduction" checkbox, but found it merely blurs the image, at least that's how it looked on a problematic image I had. I didn't had the impression the accuracy actually went higher when checking that box. Instead I felt if they were trying to fool me.

Curious what they come up with in the next major version.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well RML is the very best.
    Tough for me to get this old brain around it

7. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I use Bible Pro...it is a great work flow, but was unstable on my PC and equally unstable on the Mac. I never lost anything, just un-announced shutdowns...

I continue to use it becuase the interface is very clean and quick.

8. Thanks all, great comments and suggestions. I do like RML also. I have not use RML for batch processing. Is it pretty fast?

I know RSE is not the best but I am quick at when I need to process a bunch of pictures and for web and quick processing I love it. Bibble does all right and heck, I am curious about Bibble 5.0. To me, for 130 bucks it is worth buying and using for now.

When I need super high quality for print etc.... I have NC and NX and CS3 to fall back on.

Oh yeah, did I also say I am a software junkie? LOL......

9. Well.... no. :cool:

You can choose between different rendering qualities which, together by another demosaicing parameter determine the rendering speed. So, you CAN get it pretty fast. But you'll soon see the differences in the output and want to go to higher quality :redface::wink: which will slow down batch processing significantly.

Maybe you'll have to judge for yourself whether it is fast enough for you.

10. Thats about all I use now...its easy,quick,the price is sure right...plus it comes with noise ninja for you nikon shooters...great program for the money!

11. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

Bibble also has the capability of third party plugins, which is a void being filled by a creative gent (and photographer) called Sean Puckett. The combo can comfortably allow you to avoid using Photoshop very often except for very difficult adjustments or creative license. Bibble's batch processing also works well. And frankly I have seen no independent evidence of some of the earlier claims in this thread about "detail resolution". Frankly, unless you plan on unusually upsized enlargements I seriously doubt that the "detail resolution" makes an iota of difference. Do the sensible ting and download a trial - judge for yourself. :smile:

12. Thanks for all your comments.

I did download and try it out. I like it. Gonna buy it. As I said, I am still a fan of RSE and its workflow, despite some of its shortcomings. Bibble, IMO, works well for me, allows me to quickly process lots of pictures. I can apply the same or different settings to each picture and then batch them up for conversion from RAW to jpg. I am really curious about Bibble 5 as well. I wonder when it will be introduced?

Now, if Bibble could have a NX plug-in then we would really be talking. Bibble workflow, NX power. Nice.

13. Hi,

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to processing RAW. I've been using PS Elements with Adobe Camera Raw. Seems to work ok and I like the interface. Tried out Capture NX and liked being able to try out different in-camera settings (saturation, Mode, etc). The interface is very confusing, although I suppose it has a learning curve and will get better. It seems fine for editing, but really bad for browsing to find files...

Question: I can find Bibble and learn about it, I can figure out what NX, NC, and CS3 is, but I have no idea what RSE or RML could be. Can someone spell it out for me?

And while I'm asking embarassing newb questions about abbreviations...what the heck is NAS? It sounds like some sort of disease, and a highly contagious one at that, but I can't figure out the letters....

14. tommyc

tommyc

May 2, 2006
    Georgia
    RSE = Raw Shooter Essentials - a Raw converter that was bought up by Adobe
    RML = Raw Magick Lite - Another Raw conversion application. Very powerful once you learn how to use it.
    NAS = ? The only thing that comes to my mind is Network Attached Storage

15. Greetings

What does Bibble offer that Capture doesn't? Better colors, res, etc. ??? The noise ninja thing sounds like it might be useful to some. However, I VERRRRRRY rarely use noise reduction.
    FWIW, I often use Capture to batch NEF's. Seems pretty simple to me............ :tongue:

Oh, I tried NX and didn't like the interface at all. Seemed very counter-intuitive.

Regards
    JohnG

16. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

Bibble is much faster, and works very smoothly and simply in batch mode. There has been some discussion about "detail resolution". but for the life of me I cannot see a difference, which of course does not mean it does not exist. I also found the interface for Bibble very simple and obvious. It is ot meant to be a browser, but it does have a very easy browse function. As I said before - the great benefit to me is that it goes further in the edit process than the other main RAW players, with less need for a second level of editing (for example it has a built in lens distortion correction, based on the famous Deutsch algorithms). There is also the capability of third party addons/plugins, which has been fairly well served, especially for an independent. Finally, support service from the Bibble team is very personal and quick - try getting hold of a real human at Adobe or Nikon.

17. (1) Turn off highlight recovery every time. If you have any areas of 255,255,255 they WILL change color

(2) Perfectly Clear can do a great job, but not always...

(3) I suspect there is some artifacting, but have not deug into the problem completely.

Otherwise it is pretty fast

18. I also played around with Bibble and found the user interface, especially the overall workflow quite pleasing. Also applying a set of image parameters from one file to others is also very convenient. Not to mention the fact that they offer a native Linux version! :smile:

Unfortunately the image quality (particularly the demosaicing algorithm) lacks behind what I'm used to, so no alternative for me right now.

As for the artifacts: (click to see original size)
    162922810-O.

As for the details:
    162922800-O.

(Other1 is RML, Other2 is Capture NX if I remember correctly).

Your mileage may vary.

19. Good example Daniel.

My Bibble trial ran out. I am still undecided. So I downloaded LightRoom. I like it too. So I am thinking of getting it instead.

20. Or heck I might just stick with Capture 4.4. I do not know. I am a software junkie. I get bored. Grass is greener. Etc..... LOL.