Bicycle racing in Salt Lake City

I shot some photos of some local bicycle races in Salt Lake City on Sat. I needed some practice panning high speed action for the World SuperBike races next weekend, so I grabbed my camera and my dog and headed over to the park where the races were being held. It was a 1.5 mile loop with tight turns, ups & downhills where the racers rode from 30 - 55 minutes depending upon their classification.

After shooting, I realized that if I had switched my RAW setting from 14 to 12 bit, my frame rate would have increased from 3 fps to about 6-7. I gotta buy that battery grip!!!

The other thing I remembered is that while my 16-85 and 70-300 are great consumer lenses, I really could use the faster focusing of some pro 2.8 glass. Of course, then I forgot to turn off the VR switch which slowed things down even further.

At least I did come up with a few good images.

Sorry, I don't have any pit girls shots like Jewson always seems to get at the moto races in England :cool:

Comments, criticisms and snide remarks welcome,
Dave

racers flying down to the hairpin
CRIT-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

the pack turning onto the uphill
CRIT-2.jpg

fast & furious in the pack
CRIT-5.jpg

the pack cresting the uphill finish
CRIT-3.jpg

the winner throwing his up arms out
CRIT-4.jpg

my new pup watches the races
CRIT-6.jpg

Nice work Dave! I can almost feel myself their, and having a heart attack on the sideline pushing my bike along. :biggrin: Amazing athletes.

I got the grip a couple of months ago and I haven't removed it since. you will wish you had gotten one sooner when you finally get one. I could probably be talked out of mine for a few hours next weekend...

Latest threads

Top Bottom