BIF and OIF, Sandhill Crane & Burrowing Owl

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Went back to Othello by myself Friday after work to catch late day sun on Friday and early day on Saturday, and I am sure glad I did.

Late day Sanhill Fly-By:
    [​IMG]

Many of the Cranes have left already, I'd say that about 25-30% are left from what we saw last weekend. The farmers are now starting to plow many of the corn fields for the next crop.

The Burrowing Owls are quite a trip. Little birds, 8-9" tall, and boy are they FAST! But I did manage to snag a couple flying:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to find out when the little ones show up and get back out to see them, for sure this will be a "must do" destination next season.

2. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Love those B. Owls....and they are fast....

3. You just had to make me feel bad about not going didn't you. Good captures Bill. Glad you found some. We ended up going for our ride on Friday afternoon, over to Cle Elum for a couple of hours. Saturday wasn't all that good around here.

Louie

4. Well done Bill!

I need to get out more... Blew off Friday (gorgeous) and near froze yesterday and today! Did I ever pick it wrong....

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shots Bill

6. Nice shots! I would not even dream of trying BIF shots of the owls. Well done.

Jose

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice shooting Dewey!

8. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Those are great Bill.

9. Boy you must love that Othello area, two trips in a week. The first crane shot looks good. Nice light and sharp. I would love to have traded spots but at least I should have my weekends back in a week or less.

We went to see my dad today and drove along the tulip fields and Fir Island. The tulips are out and the eagles are in the nests. I will catch up with you soon.

10. Thanks, Jeff. As to "fast", my "blur and miss" shots were plentiful :wink:

Well, Louie, I OFFERED to take your gear with me, you were already halfway there :biggrin:

Thanks. I actually had to use the Air Conditioner in my new car for the first time on Friday and Saturday. The temperature got above 60 degrees, we set a record in Seattle in fact, possibly hot and steamy here.

Thanks, Gale. Not a White Bird in the bunch, well, not until I post the Great Egret from Saturday :wink:

Thanks, Jose. I'll tell you, those little owls were a royal pain to catch in the air. I have one sequence where the wings come up for a "take-off" and then the little bugger just ran up the hill.

Thankee.....

Thanks, Rex.

Thanks, Jim, other than the bugs that chewed me up this weekend a darned interesting place. No crowds, either, I'll be sure to let you know when the "itty-bitty" owl babies start to poke their heads out, I don't want to miss a chance to see them as well.

11. Great captures, Dewey boy. Love those owl shots - great captures considering their speed! What, do I see GREEN in the background???? We're still at the brown/grey stage of spring. :frown:

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent captures Bill

13. Thanks, Sandi. We stay pretty green here year around, just tough to see the color through the gray mist and moss :wink: The area where the owls are is all farm land, so often there are newly planted fields around.

Thanks, Harry.