BIF of Osprey Testing out some settings

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Desert Rat, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Was out this past Thursday with our ouw celebrity Cafe member Ben (aka machine Gun) at Sepulveda. We had two attempts at the Osprey fishing. Obviously we were not at the right spot for optimum photography, but we tried anyways.

This is my attempt at trouble shooting my BIF shot blurriness most of the time.
    I was shooting the whole day with just my 70-200VR and either a 1.4XTC or 1.7XTC.
    Compared to the shots with the 300 and 1.4XTC these images are much better in focus. I can at least see the Osprey eye relatively clearly..

Guess I am just going to have to break down and get a 200-400VR as a holiday present to myself.. Darn!!

Comments and Critiques welcome always

Still working on the post processing learning curve...

Enjoy

2. You are definitely getting there - further along the road than me. I have found that if you don't try for a frame filler but accept a smaller image you get a better success rate. Like you I think the 200-400 is the thing to have, then I looked at the price :Shocked: no way can I afford that:mad:

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Looking good to me Eric
    I'm going to be there (Dam) this afternoon to test my new TC, if you want to join.

Also as luck would have it I'm going to post almost identical shot of Osprey for you to compare.
    This using using my 300F4 + TC1.4
    [​IMG]

I think you are pretty much right about the older (non AFS) lens making most of the difference and not your technique. Althought we can all improve there.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good shots, but,

what's a BIF? :confused:

5. Steve Steve Steve.. BIF is Birds in Flight Abbreviation...

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thnx Eric,

you see, I don't get out much, and.........
    Hey. I've heard of BFD, but never BIF! :biggrin:

7. BIF's are tough. I'm trying w/my non-AFS lenses and it's hard... Additionally, panning for me is something I just haven't mastered yet, although I did get lucky once today...

8. these are VERY good eric. Looks like the ol 300 may have to go. Once you own the 200-400 you will never be sorry you bought it.
    Dave

9. thanks Dave and everyone so far.. Yep looks like I might go for the 200-400 in the next few weeks...

Want to check out what the 300 and converters are going for to sell them off