BIF with a prime - this might take some getting used to...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by ThorBob, Jul 6, 2007.

1. ThorBob

ThorBob Guest

Giving into a severe case of LLD I resently got myself a Nikkor 300 2.8 VR, and good GRAVY what a fine piece of glass this is! I thought the 70-200 VR had fast AF, but this thing is just silly-fast. And shooting handheld, it will also give you an excellent upper-body workout as well :biggrin:

Until now I've done all my BIF attempts with a zoom; first finding the bird with the lens zoomed out, then zooming in as soon as its centered. On my first day with the 300 I soon found out that I'd need to work on my bird-targeting skills..

With my shiny new lens mounted on the D200 I strolled down to the beach to try it out. As I was snapping a throw-away shot of some distant mountains I notice some movement in the corner of my eye. Oh my..its one of our usually-quite-elusive sea eagles, swooping in over the beach. Typical! You can roam around for days looking for one, but when you're unprepared BANG - there it is....

As the bird closed in om me, I frantically kept sweeping a seemingly empty sky in a desperate search of a shot. No joy.. I finally just pointed the camera up in the general direction of the eagle and mashed the trigger.

Result: 4 shots of an empty sky, and this one:

[​IMG]

A friend of mine later gave me props for my "bold cropping" :tongue:

Fortunatly I can now, after 10 days with the new lens, say that I am getting the hang of it. So the next hurdle is doing it all over again with a 1.7 TC mounted :tongue:

Thor

2. Looks like you got his good side:smile:

Funny!!!:wink:

3. Now THAT is funny!! Got a good laugh, thank you for sharing!! :biggrin:

4. To get the "whole" bird, just construct a montage, using this and a mirror image flip...:wink::cool::rolleyes::eek:

I started last October using a 400mm, but from the beginning, I used it on a full Wimberley and found it to be very convenient and easy - I must have gotten about 20 acceptable shots out of 300. Later my wife gave me a used 300mm for Christmas. I bought a RRS foot for it and can now use it on the Wimb as well. Aiming the lens using the lens shade knob as a front sight (as in a rifle) I found sometimes helps get the panning speed correct, then while maintaining the pan, dropping down to the viewfinder you only need to worry about vertical motion to find the bird. Something to consider.

Al least your first half-bird is sharp!

5. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    You didn't miss the shot ... You were being artistic!!!

I think we can all relate.
    Even if it is missing half the bird, I still like the shot.

6. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Absolutely I can relate to this! I have found that by keeping both eyes open and only closing my other eye once I have the bird in the viewfinder works extremely well for me.

7. That's too funny!!! :biggrin:

8. ThorBob

ThorBob Guest

hangin tree: Hehe - yeah, he seemed happy with that profile :tongue:

BostonRott: LOL - yeah, I think I really impressed them with my artistic vision. Little do they know...hehe

GonzoBernelli: Thank you, I really think a Wimberly set-up is in my future; it seems like the perfect way to combine support with "trackability". But I will give the "over the site aiming" tip a shot too!

cknight: LOL - yes, it was one of those snap artistic moments :biggrin:. But I am quite happy with the part of the bird I got, hehe.

Glacier: Thank you, that does sound like excellent advice - I will try that aiming methode next time I get a chance!

woundedmallard: Hehe-yeah, I think of it as "the 50% that got away" :tongue:

Thor

9. I'm lucky if I get that much!

Jon

10. Oops! I remember the other part, the most important part

Practice
    Practice
    Practice
    Practice

and just when you think you are getting the hang of it, Mother Nature will feed you some "humble pie", so

More Practice
    More Practice

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Amen. :biggrin:

12. Hey ThorBob with that glass even with a 2X get yourself a good monopod and you will find tracking much eaiser than on a tripod or HH. Trying to pan is made even harder with most digital SLRs as they have such a large crop factor. The VR works great off a monopod and very easy to walk around with. Not all that expensive about 50 to 60 american bucks for a good Bogen.
    Lou

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    And some more practice:>)))

I have the perfect picture also.
    Nothing in it..
    It is on my bpase gallery to.:>))))))

Your half way there.
    Just think of how beautiful a whole one will be:>))
    I know it is really tough