Big Bad Birdie and a Sweet little birdie (4 pics)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Well what can I say! I just didn't get enough shooting in this morning, so this afternoon, after it quit raining, I headed out to check out "the tree." I wasn't disappointed! Then I thought I'd try for another shot of the "mystery" birdie that I got this morning - I GOT IT! And then some! I had so much fun, it should be a crime! LOL

Big Red corrected - SWAINSON'S HAWK!!!!
    583928778_5e429a9ae5_o.

Mommy western kingbird
    View attachment 102012

Can't tell if this is Mommy or Daddy
    View attachment 102013

Daddy or Mommy?
    View attachment 102014

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  2. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Oh wow! I was sure surprised when Big Red scrolled up my screen! Love to see natural foilage in bird shots, something I rarely get since my birds hover around the feeder more than in the trees.
    Beautiful set there Dianne!
    Lisa

3. #1, super shot!!!!!!!!!!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shots
    Hawk look good

5. Thanks Lisa! Now that I know "Big Red's" favorite perch, it's easy to get him/her. Today, I actually watched a "dog-fight" in the air - small birds were harassing the hawk. I regretted not using my tripod with the jubo attached! I'm sure I'll have another chance!

Thanks! I just can't get enough of this hawk! Guess I'm really addicted!

6. Thanks Gale! I had fun this afternoon! And wow, this whole day has been just magical for me! I'm gonna practice until either my fingers fall off or I wear that D50 completely out! LOL :cool:

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Does success like this make you wish you started birding a long time ago? Well done Dianne and it only gets better from here. Make it a priority to get out birding as often as your time allows.

8. WOW I think these are some of your best Dianne

Very Well done.

9. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Whoa Dianne these are spectacular! These images confirm the Western Kingbird i.d.

Congratulations!!!

10. LOL, Frank if I had started birding a long time ago, we'd be living in a big cardboard box for want of even longer lenses! But at the same time yes, I can't get over how much fun it is - especially when I can get close like I did today! The fun part is waiting until I get home to ID my birdies. That just keeps the fun going a bit longer! Thanks for the encouragement! You'll be seeing more as I can get em!

Thanks Gary! I enjoy it when I can get out alone. I was in a church parking lot shooting the kingbirds and Big Red was across the street!

Thanks! I was glad I went back this afternoon! Not only did I confirm the ID, but got to see the nest as well! I"ll be checking in as often as I can now!

11. More excellent bird shots -- wow, Dianne, you're on a roll now! :smile:

12. Nice series Dianne but you call the hawk big red and it does not look like a red tail I would see so I have to ask is this a species of what you have in your neck of the woods. There are many different species of this raptor.
    I had to look it up and I find red Tail adult "Kriders" (pale morph) shows that white throat and Immaculte white undrneath. Would I be right in this call?
    Lou

13. Thanks Connie! We had fun from the time we got up this morning, until now! I just cloned a branch! I'll be posting in this thread.

Hmmm, Lou I really don't know. The hawk I find the most like the one I photographed is a SWAINSON"S HAWK!!!!!!!! And all this time I thought it was a red tail! WOW! Another first for me! Gee, thanks Lou!

14. I'm thinking Big Red may not be a red - but a Swainson's Hawk! I'm gonna check all my photos!

584056973_346210a9d5_o.

15. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Great series Dianne. You are getting real good a this. Were they shot with the 300 + TC?

16. Nice

Hi Dianne,
    You did a great job with these. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing.:smile:

17. Wow, that's pretty exciting Dianne, great images. I know some birders down here (including myself) that would be thrilled to find a Western Kingbird nest!

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful shots Dianne. :smile:

19. Thanks Torben! Photographing birds is so challenging, but oh so rewarding! I'm amazed at how beautiful they are!

Thanks Ed! It's all in having fun and learning too!

Hehe, thanks Lou! I'm still in awe that I found the nest! I'm planning on telling the church people about it. I'd like to see basketball halted until the little ones leave the nest, but don't know if that will happen. I"m gonna give them a photo or 2 also. As for knowing some birders, shoot, tell em to call me or something! I'd love to find more!

Thanks Flew! Now I know why birding is so addictive - fun, challenging, and just downright rewarding!

20. Very very nice indeed. Well done and it looks like the trip out after the rain was well worth it.