Big Bear Lakes (Yup, bears inside)

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Matt S, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Well that not the real name of the place, but that's what my family calls it. I am lucky enough that my father is a pilot and has a float plane. He called yesterday and asked if I wanted to go fishing. I had a pretty good idea where he was headed. So of course I said YES!! In the end I could'nt decide if I was fishing or photographing, and did a poor job at both. I ended up with some salmon for the fridge and some photos for my galleries, but I should have focused on one or the other.

My son and I counted the bears at the end of the day. We saw 15 bears (12 browns, 3 blacks) Numerous eagles, moose, a waterfall and some great mountian scenery. Great day!!!

Hear are a couple of shots. All with the 70-200.

Momma with triplets. Rare but seems to be common at this particular place.

335285805_o7CXz-XL.jpg

Drooling Black Bear.

335286032_nF4Zt-XL.jpg

Why he was drooling.........(hint: look closely in the water)

335294078_9V5zK-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  2. What beauties! You got the detail in these bears so nicely! I'd be drooling too, if I saw some nice fresh fish in that water! I especially like the Mom and triplets - guess it's because I'm a Mom of 3 kids. Keep em comin, will ya!? I'd love to visit Alaska some day!

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Great detail on the fur and great metering on the images, well done!

Wade

4. The fur in number 2 looks amazing!

5. Thanks Wade, they were backlit (the brown bears) very hard most of the time. I had an sb-800 shoe mounted at full power just to fill the shadows. In the shots where it did not fire (recycle time) you see mostly silouetes. Tough shooting with only one direction available due to geographical limits of where you can be, really you need to be there in the early morning, but so far my pilot has not come around to that idea.

That's the first time I have used flash with wildlife. In this particular case it made all the difference.

6. Dianne and Bluth Fan thanks so much.

Dianne I will see what I can do about getting some more for you.

7. You did a great job under difficult conditions. Love them all.

8. Wieman

Wieman Guest

Nice shots Matt.

Which lens did you take with you? Did you use a have a polarized filter on #3?

I'll have to get my dad to take me out one of these days and see i can can get lucky enough to get something as good. :smile:

9. I was using the 70-200 ( you bought one right? I think I remember that). And that was plenty. I brought the 500 along but never mounted it. No polarizer on #3 but that would have made it even better. Although I kinda like that you don't notice the fish right away and have to look.... then you see one, two, three, wait 10 etc. there were schools by the hundreds milling around. I should have fished hard for an hour, limited out and then concentrated on the bears. Instead I burned several hours doing a bad job of paying attention to either one.

If you talk your dad into going, call me. I would love to hitch a ride. We are headed up to that place (that will remain nameless, but you know where I mean) in the Wrangles this weekend so that should be fun too.

BTW: Luck had nothing to do with it. When your 30 feet from a dozen bears, well it's kinda like fish in a barrel. Pun intended.

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I assumed you got some nice relfected light from the water perhaps, because I noticed the backlite. Very nice flash, folks don't give the standard Sb800 enough credit when full power at full zoom, it does reach out there pretty good!