Big Bend National Park

Real Name
Dan
I just spent Thanksgiving at Big Bend National Park in Texas. It was a loooong road trip, I think I drove about 2900 miles total. It was also a wonderful time to visit with highs in the 70s to low 80s. We (me, wife, kids, and some in-laws) got to hike in November, a time of the year when Idaho is drab and boring. We even got to see some butterflies and other bugs weeks after they have left our home in Idaho.

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
Nice set Dan. I love the B&W image. Also #8 and #9.
A delightful set of images - from landscapes to butterflies!!! Well done!

#2 is stunning!
Thank you Binnur and Karen. The Chisos Mountains were pretty spectacular, especially the drive up into them. This was just from below and I didn't get any good shots in the canyon on the way up.

Real Name
Dan
Nice images!
That 300 olympus lens is great and the hardest to replace (i bought the 500pf when i went nikon)
Thanks! The Olympus 300mm is the only reason I still have Olympus gear. And I have 10 batteries for my EM1.2 o_O just to keep it going. I hope that at some point I find a lens in Z mount that can do for butterflies what I do with the 300. I might be a one system user at that point.

Real Name
Dan
I hope to get down there next Spring or Summer so thanks, Dan, for keeping me inspired. I especially like #1 and each of your butterfly images.
Thank you. Santa Elena Canyon was one of my favorite things on that trip. From what I understand there are 65! species of cacti in Big Bend. I really want to get there one spring to photograph as many in bloom as I can. I suspect late April to mid May is the right time for cacti, but it would probably be getting hot in May.

Thank you. Santa Elena Canyon was one of my favorite things on that trip. From what I understand there are 65! species of cacti in Big Bend. I really want to get there one spring to photograph as many in bloom as I can. I suspect late April to mid May is the right time for cacti, but it would probably be getting hot in May.
I'm more of a birding guy, but cacti would present opportunities also!

Latest threads

Top Bottom