Big Brother is Watching (and he's in the palm of your hand)

Real Name
Andy
Unless you specifically tell your phone not to do so, it is recording everywhere you've been. The screenshot below shows what my phone knows about my travels from Dec. 18 to Dec. 29, 2020. The information is pretty comprehensive, and a bit scary.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I don't have geo tracking or whatever it is enabled. At least I don't think so. I know where I am most of the time......:oops:

Real Name
Andy
While Apple states that they take great precautions to protect you location data themselves, they also say this with regard to how that information might be used by the various apps on your device:

“If you allow third-party apps or websites to use your current location, you are subject to their terms and privacy policy and practices. You should review the terms, privacy policies, and practices of such apps and websites to understand how they use your location and other information.”

The biggest compromise is with Google Maps. I use it all the time, and obviously location sharing is a requirement to get usable guidance from that app.
Yes, google, Facebook and many other third party apps record what they should not and don’t need.
On the other hand, many of my banking apps or transactions will not go through easily or at all if I block geolocation or use a VPN set to a node outside of my country.

Location services come in handy with many apps on my phone. For example, when I check the weather it automatically shows me the forecast for my area. Photo apps that allow me to view where the sun will be at a given time automatically know where I am standing. Even restaurant loyalty apps know the restaurant I am in when applying my rewards to my purchase. Of course, mapping apps that provide driving directions or GPS trail progress require location services. I end up picking and choosing which apps get what level of access to this information.

It is a little freaky when my Apple watch suddenly anticipates where I might be going at a given time. It might display a message saying something like "you are 15 minutes away from a given location (such as a restaurant) and traffic is light..." because I might have gone to that place a few times over the past couple of months.

Glenn

Real Name
Andy
Yes, google, Facebook and many other third party apps record what they should not and don’t need.
So true. Unless you look at it from their standpoint: they "need" our information so they can present us with "information" that suits us and returns to them some cost-per-click revenue. If it goes no further than that, I suppose it's innocent enough. If.

Location service for the weather forecast is the #1 example of information that DOES NOT HAVE TO be collected by the phone.
A simple selection from a list is sufficient.
It is more manual but private as the app does not need to know the phone’s location.

Unless you specifically tell your phone not to do so, it is recording everywhere you've been. The screenshot below shows what my phone knows about my travels from Dec. 18 to Dec. 29, 2020. The information is pretty comprehensive, and a bit scary.
Step #1 for any international drug trafficker :D

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Location services come in handy with many apps on my phone. For example, when I check the weather it automatically shows me the forecast for my area. Photo apps that allow me to view where the sun will be at a given time automatically know where I am standing. Even restaurant loyalty apps know the restaurant I am in when applying my rewards to my purchase. Of course, mapping apps that provide driving directions or GPS trail progress require location services. I end up picking and choosing which apps get what level of access to this information.

It is a little freaky when my Apple watch suddenly anticipates where I might be going at a given time. It might display a message saying something like "you are 15 minutes away from a given location (such as a restaurant) and traffic is light..." because I might have gone to that place a few times over the past couple of months.

Glenn
I check the weather in the morning. Done. If you are planning a shoot, you will probably turn on Photo Pills. You could turn on location detection at that time. I only start an app when I am ordering or at the restaurant. I only need GPS when traveling....and for that the vehicle does just fine. And traveling is a more "random" thing, to my mind. Not like tracking me all the time.

But obviously you and Sharon got us a lot of needed information from your phones when we were stranded in Iceland! Justin and I were informationless ! LOL!

And I don't do social media of any kind! Guess I'm just one of the lucky "sober" ones! :D

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom