Big Brother is Watching (and he's in the palm of your hand)

That’s an interesting idea. Is there a quick way to toggle all three on and off without menu diving (in iOS)?
Settings/privacy/location services is the go to.
Then IOS 14 introduced shortcuts and automation which from what I see on YouTube allow you to have a single button on your screen.
I am just looking into it, it is a project for this week end.

I check the weather in the morning. Done. If you are planning a shoot, you will probably turn on Photo Pills. You could turn on location detection at that time. I only start an app when I am ordering or at the restaurant. I only need GPS when traveling....and for that the vehicle does just fine. And traveling is a more "random" thing, to my mind. Not like tracking me all the time.

But obviously you and Sharon got us a lot of needed information from your phones when we were stranded in Iceland! Justin and I were informationless ! LOL!

And I don't do social media of any kind! Guess I'm just one of the lucky "sober" ones! :D
I do have it set so that the location service only gets activated while I am using the app.

Given my activities, I am not overly concerned about it. I doubt anyone really cares very much about my location...and if they do they would soon get bored with it!

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I do have it set so that the location service only gets activated while I am using the app.

Given my activities, I am not overly concerned about it. I doubt anyone really cares very much about my location...and if they do they would soon get bored with it!

Glenn
Rather, I don't think they stand a chance of keeping up with you! :D

...It is a little freaky when my Apple watch suddenly anticipates where I might be going at a given time. It might display a message saying something like "you are 15 minutes away from a given location (such as a restaurant) and traffic is light..." because I might have gone to that place a few times over the past couple of months.
I find this feature very annoying. If it's someplace I've been or regularly go then I know if it's close by. And I certainly don't need Apple/Google helping me plan my day by prodding me to stop at a store/restaurant simply because it is close by. I suspect the places that it suggests are not random and that there is some advertising revenue being generated when these "suggestions" occur.
...Given my activities, I am not overly concerned about it. I doubt anyone really cares very much about my location...
I'm not concerned either. Per above it is the annoyance factor. I can the potential value for people travelling on business etc who are in places that they are not familiar with. But I don't need any help navigating every time I leave my house.

As others have said above these features can be defeated. But why is the default that they are on and it takes an effort to turn them off? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I find this feature very annoying. If it's someplace I've been or regularly go then I know if it's close by. And I certainly don't need Apple/Google helping me plan my day by prodding me to stop at a store/restaurant simply because it is close by. I suspect the places that it suggests are not random and that there is some advertising revenue being generated when these "suggestions" occur.

I'm not concerned either. Per above it is the annoyance factor. I can the potential value for people travelling on business etc who are in places that they are not familiar with. But I don't need any help navigating every time I leave my house.

As others have said above these features can be defeated. But why is the default that they are on and it takes an effort to turn them off? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Some have to be on for the iPhone to be set up and authentication to take place.
True they could offer a setting “full privacy” either at the end of the set up or as an easy to use option.
But that may create a lot of problems for non tech savvy users.

Real Name
Andy
This is a good summary of IOS 14 new privacy features:
https://www.wired.com/story/ios-14-privacy-security-features/
True they could offer a setting “full privacy” either at the end of the set up or as an easy to use option.
But that may create a lot of problems for non tech savvy users.
There is definitely a balance to be struck between ease of use and privacy. Hopefully Apple and Android are on top of it. My inner conspiracy theorist has a passing concern, but there are obviously benefits to the GPS location information being automatically used by a smart phone for many functions.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I enjoy the monthly report from Google showing me where I have been. Back when one could travel more, it was far more interesting.
I just looked at what I did on Feb 13, 2020, when I left home, changed cars at a Toyota dealer in Cheltenham, and later drove to Devon:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And it gives a text report, so you can even see how fast I drive:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very scary to me to have my every movement known or recorded. I'm fine with doing without what little good, if any, it might provide.
I'll play contrarian...what's "scary" about it? You have a device with GPS and Wifi tracking in it (that you can turn off by the way) but it is used to give you directions via maps, weather reports as you travel/move, location specific alerts (i.e. amber alerts, emergency reports). There isn't someone in an office somewhere saying "wow, check out this Andy guy, he likes to get around." The information stored is for frequent locations just in case you want those helpful hints for when to leave work or get on the road for an appointment and can be quickly turned off specifically but location services is way too beneficial to turn completely off.

Let's put this another way, there is very little to be scared about with an Apple device keeping logs of your location but you can turn that feature off. Android, hard to get away from. But if someone with the power wants to find you, they don't need your phone logs to do so.

This is working under the assumption that only the right apps collect the information they need.
There are many sensors in phones today.
Plus data on which phones are nearby.
So phones do not only collect information on their status but on other devices and their surroundings.
Plus health data.
Plus financial data.
Data on family members, friends, how often they are contacted, how they are contacted...
I don’t want anyone to get scared.

Real Name
Andy
The information stored is for frequent locations just in case you want those helpful hints
Last year, I was doing so many projects around the house that Google auto-designated my work address as "Menards" which is a Midwest regional store similar to Home Depot. It seems that I drove there on a more regular basis than the airport (my actual workplace). So, it seems that with a little effort Big Brother can be fooled.

Neither my health data or my financial data is recorded on any of my devices and I never access my online bank accounts on my iPhone or iPad, nor do I access them on my laptop if staying at a hotel out-of-town and therefore not on my own network.
That’s good.
I am not sure how many people switch the step tracking off their phones for instance.
Or the credit card details needed for subscription to some services or apps.
This is an interesting read
https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-data-collection-stored-request/

Real Name
Andy
Neither my health data or my financial data is recorded on any of my devices
The only credit card I use with Apple Pay and have in my Apple "Wallet" is the Apple Card,
The convenience of not carrying actual credit cards is significant to me, so I actually do use Apple Pay. I think the risk of a physical credit card is higher because the full number, expiration date and CVV codes can all be seen by eyes and cameras.

In any case, it’s only money, so to speak.

But I’m more concerned about my whereabouts being tracked in real time. My overactive imagination wonders if that information falling into the wrong hands could open a set of risks that cannot be reversed.

Apple Pay is convenient but there are still places which do not yet use it -- including my local grocery store, which is annoying. These days I don't really go shopping anywhere except the grocery store so am not pulling out my cards in lots of places anyway. I've done more shopping online over this past year than I ever had before, thanks to COVID-19, and I must say, it really is convenient!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom