Big bug and a little frog...

A couple from the weekend, the GWB is still doing fine and they seem to make great pets. :D
28947988-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Starting to get the baby treefrogs around now, there so tiny this guy is about a 1/2" or 12 mm long.
28947986-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Both taken with the 200 f4 micro, SB-800 on cord and a Lumiquest Soft-box.

Great shots Martin. I love the first one. Sure makes the 200 micro look attractive too. 8)

Is the big bug tending the smaller one, or is he about to eat it? :lol:

Flew said:
Great shots Martin. I love the first one. Sure makes the 200 micro look attractive too. 8)

Is the big bug tending the smaller one, or is he about to eat it? :lol:

Thanks Frank, the small bug is about to become lunch, he is just looking for a spot to stick in the mouth part.

Martin

Kramp:

So nice to find you here! These are wonderful! Are you primarily using the 200 f4 now? I think that this lens is inevitable or me, but I recently purchased the Canon 500D for the 70-200VR, similar to my purchase of the 6T for the 70-300ED. I think I'm trying to save myself from any further purchases :) While the working distance is nice, the extremely shallow DOF is very limiting.

You know, I found one of those tree frogs last year, didn't know what it was but it sure was small, you're right about a 1/2 inch long. Makes for a beautiful picture here.

:oops:

Good Grief! I'm so sorry this got posted 3 times. The computer was hanging half way through and I thought it had not gone through. I can't find a way to deliete the two threads.

Sorry....

Lisa said:
:oops:

Good Grief! I'm so sorry this got posted 3 times. The computer was hanging half way through and I thought it had not gone through. I can't find a way to deliete the two threads.

Sorry....

No problem Lisa. It is taken care of.... :wink:

Marvelous as usual... Who is the Pet. and what is GWB.. I sure must have missed a post.

Sorry about that.

Lisa said:
Kramp:

So nice to find you here! These are wonderful! Are you primarily using the 200 f4 now? I think that this lens is inevitable or me, but I recently purchased the Canon 500D for the 70-200VR, similar to my purchase of the 6T for the 70-300ED. I think I'm trying to save myself from any further purchases :) While the working distance is nice, the extremely shallow DOF is very limiting.

You know, I found one of those tree frogs last year, didn't know what it was but it sure was small, you're right about a 1/2 inch long. Makes for a beautiful picture here.

Hi Lisa, good to see you here also. Yes I use the 200 f4 micro most of the time, I will use the Tamron 90 when I want the wider perspective or when 200 mm is just too long and if I just need something lighter.

Have you tried the 6T on the 70-200, you will need a 77-62 step down ring there a bit hard to find but there available, it will give you a bit more magnification than the 500D. just another thing to try, I use mine on my 300 f4 and its also 77mm.

Thanks!

Martin

Gale said:
Marvelous as usual... Who is the Pet. and what is GWB.. I sure must have missed a post.

Sorry about that.

Thanks Gale, the GWB is Giant Water Bug there the largest bugs around here almost three inches, he lives in a small aquarium on my sundeck on the table, great conversation piece, and the neiborhood kids like to see me feed him fish.

Martin

Hi Martin:

I'm so used to calling you kramp! Thanks for the tip on the 6T. I suppose I could have saved myself a few dollars if I'd have known that.

My question to you is this: My 6T used to fit on my 70-300ED until the lens took a dive last fall. So I dusted the 6T off and placed it on my 60mm Micro. What advantages do you see in this if any? The farthest away from an object I can focus using this combination is roughly 13 inches. It appears to function more as a heavy lens protecting filter at this distance. The 6T is about 1/2 inch thick. At 13 inches from the subject with the 6T and 12 1/2 inches without the 6T the images appear identical as I am compensating for the 1/2 inch.

Can I use this combination in an attempt to gain a greater than 1:1 magnification? If I'm not making myself clear, I apologize.

Hi Lisa,

You won't get much of an increase of magnification with the 6T on the 60 micro maybe 1.2:1 at the most I think on my Tamron 90 it gives me 1.4:1.

Shorter lenses get less of affect with diopters thats why it worked so well on the 70-300 it was long enough to take of advantage, extension tubes are the other way around they have a stronger affect on short lenses.

Another way to increase magnification is teleconverters add a 2 times tc and you can get 2:1 at the same working distance with a macro lens.

Same with a 1.4 tc it will give 1.4:1 with out losing working distance.

Martin

Hi Martin:

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't see much difference unless I focused as close as the lens would allow with the 6T. That was REALLY close. I have a Kenko Teleplus Pro 1.4TC but I'm not sure it would work with the 60mm. I looked at that before but I was afraid the rear element of the lens might touch the front of the TC. Have you used your TC with the 90mm?

Thanks again!

Lisa said:
Hi Martin:

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't see much difference unless I focused as close as the lens would allow with the 6T. That was REALLY close. I have a Kenko Teleplus Pro 1.4TC but I'm not sure it would work with the 60mm. I looked at that before but I was afraid the rear element of the lens might touch the front of the TC. Have you used your TC with the 90mm?

Thanks again!

I guess that is something you have to watch out for, the tc's works fine with my 200 and the Tamron 90, there is not much clearance with the 90 though it must almost touch.

Martin

Thank You Martin!!!

Is the Turtle you saved 16 years ago a Pet also.

Nice turtle pics. Makes mine look icky :>))

Latest threads

Top Bottom