big difference

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by jim hughes, Aug 26, 2008.

1. jim hughes

jim hughes

Jun 12, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Until now I've been the poster boy for Hardware Deficiency Syndrome, running NX2 on an Athlon 2800 with 1 GB, and on Vista just to make things worse. I've now bought a new PC with a 4-core Intel processor, 4GB and a SATA drive. Being a developer, I also have the latest C++ runtimes and .NET framework installed.

The difference, for NX2, is major - rendering times are way down. So I am here today to tell you that there is light at the end of the tunnel and with adequate hardware, NX2 does come to life.

2. How about demonstrating it by showing us a picture of an oncoming freight train. :biggrin:

Seriously, congratulations on your new toys. I'm sure NX2 will be a lot more enjoyable for you now.

3. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    Jim - did having the latest C++ and .NET Framework make much difference on your Athlon 2800 machine?

NX2 is very slow on my PC (Athlon 2600, 1.5GB RAM, 500GB SATA drive and Vista Ultimate). I'd build a faster machine but can't afford it so I was hoping to get NX2 running better on the existing PC.

Any ideas?

4. bh626

bh626

Mar 6, 2006
    Ontario
    SWLD, unfortunately your CPU and RAM are holding you back and Vista doesn't help either. For your hardware XP is a better fit. The newer libraries may help, but not like new hardware. In any event download and try them. Also check your RAM usage (Task manager). If you are using your Swap file ie: you have very little physical memory available (and you probably are with Vista/NX2) this will slow you down more than anything. Here's where another Gb of Ram will help - remember Vista recommends 4 Gb of Ram to run well.

5. jim hughes

jim hughes

Jun 12, 2008
    Minneapolis
    SWLD, I can't answer that question because, since I'm a software developer, I've always had the latest .NET framework and C++ runtime libraries on my system. I can only increase your pain by telling you that moving to 4 cores and 4 GB made a huge difference.

6. Just thought I'd add to the discussion with my experience and system specs.....

Asus Crosshair MB
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2 gHz Dual Core
    Corsair XMS2 4GB RAM
    WD Raptor 10,000 RPM primary SATA drive
    WD 7200 RPM 1TB SATA drives (2)
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 384-bit Video Card
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Since upgrading from NX to NX2, I've noticed a slight bit of improvement between the 2 versions. Overall, I cannot complain about the performance of NX2 on this system. Batch processing speeds are quite acceptable as well.

7. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    Ok Jim - thanks for the info.

(Btw, I've tried NX2 on a 3.0 P4 machine with 3GB ram and XP SP2 and it's no faster than on the AMD).

8. I ran into a period last night, after using NX2 for about two hours, it would not create the thumbnail for an image I was saving. I closed NX down and tried to reload the image and got the popup message, not enough available memory to process image.

I have never gotten that message in NX before.

I checked out the memory NX2 was using and it was almost up to 2 gigs. I closed NX2 down and other processes were using 25% of the available system memory. I shut the PC down, restarted NX2 and was able to continue working on the same image (after copying the backup image I had) with no problems. I think NX2 has some memory issues somewhere.

I am running:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    4 gigs DDR2 800
    GeForce 8800 GTS w/512 megs
    WD Raptor 10,000 RPM primary SATA drive
    WD 7200 RPM 500gb SATA drives (2)
    Vista Business 64bit version

My MB will only support 4GBs or ram.. so..

I ordered a new MB that supports 8 along with 4 more gigs.
    We will see how it runs after that install! :cool:

9. Though some people are reporting that their copy of NX runs fine using the 64-bit verision of Vista, you are probably aware that Nikon documentation says to use it with the 32-bit version. I don't know anything about software, but I wonder if that might be related to your issue.