Big Glass - do you use the strap?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by StL_Don, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Well, to me my 300/2.8 VR is big. It came with its own strap but I have not used it.

My thought is that the strap is for carrying the lens, out of a pouch, on your neck or shoulder which I don't plan to do. Did I miss another benefit of the strap?

While you're looking - my lens also came with an extra square pad for the case but I can't figure out what its purpose is? I'm sure Nikon had a reason but they forgot to mention it in the instruction booklet.

Thanks
    Don

2. well I can't say from experience, but generaly it is supposed to be better to carry the lens mounted on the body by the lens, just as it is better to mount it on a tripod from the lens foot. Reduces stress on mount and prevents warping.

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

With a 300/2.8 of any kind, you MUST carry the lens by the strap NOT by the camera. Otherwise, you'll get a warped camera mount in no time. Why do you think the strap was provided and the lens has two lugs for attaching the strap?

4. I always use the strap on my AF 300 f/2.8. I'll either carry the camera by the lens (near tripod collar) or by the strap (slung over my shoulder). With big glass, of course attach with lens collar to a tripod. When I have another lens on the cam, I always transport the 300 with the strap over my shoulder.

5. I carry the camera/lens with 2 straps - one for the lens and a shorter one for the camera. The lens strap bears most of the weight. When removing the lens (especially to change tc's), the camera strap holds the body, freeing my hands to hold the lens etc. This works very well for me.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The strap for my 300mm f/2.8 is still in the plastic packaging which is still in the compartment of the hard case that the lens came in. I don't handhold this lens but prefer to use it on a monopod.

7. Raindog

Raindog

Nov 26, 2005
    Asheville, NC
    Well said Rory,

With the 200/2 I double strap with the main tension on the lens loops and semi-tight on the body.

8. I probably wasn't clear in my post.
    I'd never carry a rig that heavy by the body strap. If I've got that lens in use I'm either carrying by the foot or more likely by the monopod or tripod to which it is attached. I've never walked around with camera & body slung around my neck.

I was thinking of the strap in terms of transporting the lens when not attached or somehow as an extra safety measure when handling the lens such as mounting etc. I was trying to weigh that advantage vs. having an extra strap to catch on things or otherwise cause unpleasant surprises.

Thanks,
    Don

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Same here, I shoot the 200-400vr from a tripod most of the time, if not then at least a monopod. Either way I sling the whole rig over my shoulder for transport.

The only time I've used the strap is when shooting from a monopod, if I decide to use another lens. In this case the 200-400 will be slung over my shoulder by the strap while I use the other lens.

10. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Square pad

I'm wondering the same. I've considered using it as a substitute body if I've expanded the soft case to fit a body, but didn't want to retighten the case if I'm packing the lens without the body. However, that brings up the question about what to do with the pad when traveling with the body in the case :confused:

Kevin