Big Red (3 photos)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Well, we were on our way to Walmart going down the same road where I had seen hawks before and yep, the camera was at home. Yep, he was there in his usual tree. So, after going to Walmart, we wondered if he'd still be there, so we dropped the kids off at home, grabbed camera, tripod, BB, and sb800, and took off. YES!!!!!!! He was there, the lighting was perfect and I got about 37 great shots. What did I forget? I forgot to turn on the flash! ANYWAY, the sun was hitting his eyes just right. Just hope I didn't mess up in PP. Ya'll, I'm so excited over these photos - I think they're my best yet!

527111191_9cdfc723ff_o.

527111199_a1c8ee471e_o.

View attachment 98733

2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    A BIG congratulations Dianne!

I don't think you needed flash here anyway. It looks like there was plenty of illumination and the colors look excellent to me. Way to go!

3. Thanks Andy! I thought I needed flash to get a light in his eyes, well, apparently not! I was sooo scared he was going to fly away! BUT he sat there and let me fire off a bunch! I was so thankful that I got so many nice shots! He was definitely curious about me and I loved the way he cocked his head. One thing I've learned - tripods may be a pain in the neck to use BUT if I want got photos, I better use it! Thanks for stopping in!

4. WOW, Dianne! Isn't he pretty?! I love his coloring! Yes, indeedy, you nailed him!!! I agree, no flash needed, looks as though the light situation was just fine. Congratulations! :smile:

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Tripods are essential no question if you have time to setup. I keep a pillow in my vehicle just in case I need to jump out for a quick shot. I have used it on the hood, top, ground or wherever needed in a pinch. It makes a very good platform to shoot from and is a lot quicker than a tripod if time is a factor.

These have some really beautiful colors!

6. Thanks Connie! he was so beautiful! I couldn't believe I got as many shots of him as I did! I'll be getting more of him - while in the parking lot of the church across the street, we ran into a Frenchman that seemed to know where we could find more raptors - owls, and some kind of falcon. Guess we're gonna be enlisting him as a guide!

Thanks Andy! I was totally in awe of that beauty! And to be soooo close! I also had a beanbag in the van, but the only way I could get to the hawk was to go across a total of 4 lanes of road. I have a quick release panning head on my bogen, so setting up is quick and easy.

7. These are super Dianne! Really captured some "endearing" poses, beautiful work!

8. These are great captures, Dianne. Beautiful.

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Really happy for you Dianne

Not only good photos but he/she is one good lookin cuss :biggrin::wink:

10. Thanks Thomas! I can't tell ya how happy I was that that bird stayed put as long as he did! He was definitely curious about me - he kept watching me. I got a bunch like that with him "posing on each side" like he's wondering which side is better!?:rolleyes: I even talked to him (like I'm crazy, I guess!) but it was just soooo fun! I've been wanting a really good photo of a hawk for a long time and I'm not sure if this one is "perfect" but hey, it's better than some of my other shots! Thanks for stopping by!

11. Great job, Dianne. You really nailed these. I'm so glad you went back home & got the camera. Well done!

12. Thanks Dave! Mark was a real sweetheart to drive me back over there. By the time we got back over there, the lighting was just soooo perfect! I was amazed that the hawk stayed put as long as he did! I'll be going back over there for sure! And thanks, that hawk has really brightened my day!

13. Thanks Guys! I was in awe of that beauty too! I hadn't been quite so close with my camera and TRIPOD! I even had my flash and better beamer on the camera. Well, I'm learning for sure!:rolleyes::biggrin:

14. Very nice shots Dianne! I'm really happy for you that you finally captured him (so to speak) and that he waited patiently for you! :biggrin:

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding captures Dianne

16. Dianne,

These are wonderful!! The lighting is perfect and the colors are gorgeous.

Have you tried the 'Pod'? It's just a bean bag with a threaded screw. It really comes in handy when you don't have your tripod handy. I usually place it on a hard surface like the hood of my SUV or on a fence. Anyway, I am looking forward to more posts of your beautiful hawk! Kudos to you!!

17. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow. Those are great Dianne. #2 is really beautiful. Glad you went back to get your camera.

18. Great shots Dianne. The way he's looking at you gives him personality.
    Pete

19. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You Go Girl! Nice shooting Dianne. You did really well to capture this Red Tail. I'm so jealous, I've yet to get some images of one. Very well done.

20. Thanks Gretchen! Apparently that's his "favorite" perch so I'm sure I'll be seeing more of him! I'm still in awe this morning over how pretty he was! IS!

Thanks Harry! I'm a learnin'!

Thanks Crystal! I'm so glad I didn't miss him AGAIN! I haven't tried the pod you're talking about but I do have a wildlife bean bag that I bought from NatureScapes. I'm keeping it in the van for now. In this case, I had the time to grab tripod when I grabbed my camera, flash, and better beamer.

Thanks Torben! I'm glad hubby was willing to drive me back over! He actually let me out on the street while the traffic was not bad!

Thanks Pete! I watched him as he watched me and I actually talked to him. Dunno, but I think maybe he knew I didn't want to harm him. He stayed put for quite a while. And I just shot away! :wink::biggrin:

Thanks TEACHER! If it hadn't been for you having me put a stuffed animal in a tree and practice on my EV settings and such, I wouldn't have gotten this beauty! If you ever come down to Texas, we'll have to show you a really good shootin' time! Just be prepared to have your legs run off! Apparently this tree is a favorite perch as I've seen him there many times. This time, I was especially happy that he was there when I got back with my camera.