Big Sur

No, no, you don't have to edit the images in Photos, all you have to do is edit in NX-D but instead of sending the file to your normal location afterward, try sending it to Photos, and then from there you should be able to export it again to your regular place. I have not used Photos, ever, even back when it was called iPhoto, as it is not sufficient for proper editing. Apparently though, at least in Luminar, there is a way of exporting an image edited in it to the Photos app. There may not be in NX-D, I don't know, you'd have to take a look. The similarity in issues between Luminar and NX-D, both crashing on attempts at export, is what prompted my suggestion. This may or may not work, up to you to experiment or not.....
The problem is I can't choose the settings to resize them first to convert them because it crashes before those options appear.

I have my own wallpaper too; Steve and I are talking about the boot-up screen, with the garish artsy picture.

OK, so reviving an older post here because now that I'm in the midst of setting up a new machine (13" M1 MBP, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM) I've been confronted with that downright garish, ugly as sin wallpaper that comes up upon boot up and remains as the desktop wallpaper until the user screams for mercy..... AIEEEEEEEE!!!!! In my case, it was a matter of standing it only so long while doing some of the basic setup stuff, and then grabbing one of my photo backup external SSDs and plugging that in so I could stick some photos in this thing and set up my desktop wallpaper and screensavers with my own images and with something much, much more to my liking!

WHAT was Apple thinking, with this way, way oversaturated wallpaper??!!! "Garish" hardly begins to describe the impact of this image!

Oh -- so far, no issues with this new machine, but then again I have only just started getting it set up to my liking and have very little in it yet with regard to files, folders and content. First thing I did of course was to download and install Big Sur 11.1 and I suspect that may have helped some of the problems some people were reporting earlier. Tomorrow I'll be putting in more of my already-established files and folders, and also will be adding software, non-Apple applications such as DXO PhotoLab 4, etc., and will need to download and install Rosetta before I do that. Most of my software that I use currently is Apple-produced, which is all already Apple Silicon-ready and "native" to it. I don't have a lot which isn't, and some of which I do I will simply just leave on my main machine, the 2018 MBP.

I'm loving this newest member of the household already, and she is, as has been mentioned by many others, very fast. Wow!

Last edited:
OK, so reviving an older post here because now that I'm in the midst of setting up a new machine (13" M1 MBP, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM) I've been confronted with that downright garish, ugly as sin wallpaper that comes up upon boot up and remains as the desktop wallpaper until the user screams for mercy..... AIEEEEEEEE!!!!! In my case, it was a matter of standing it only so long while doing some of the basic setup stuff, and then grabbing one of my photo backup external SSDs and plugging that in so I could stick some photos in this thing and set up my desktop wallpaper and screensavers with my own images and with something much, much more to my liking!

WHAT was Apple thinking, with this way, way oversaturated wallpaper??!!! "Garish" hardly begins to describe the impact of this image!
First thing I did was change it :)

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 6.06.26 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I didn't like any of the choices Apple was offering, so just left the ugly one there, which stirred me into faster action with regard to getting my own wallpaper installed as quickly as possible. I'm happy now.... :)

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 10.27.47 AM.png

Real Name
Ken St John
Yeah, my "stock" image disappeared quickly as well.
Desktop.jpg

I have a folder in Pictures where I put a copy of selected images that I use for my wallpapers. Change 'em quite often ... this one is one of my "holiday" backgrounds (note the Christmas tree in the museum on the lower right ...)

One of my projects is to look into what it takes to make the transitioning light images that Apple uses for their dynamic wallpapers. Thought it would be a fun thing to do sometime after the new year starts!!

Cheers!!

Ken

OK, so reviving an older post here because now that I'm in the midst of setting up a new machine (M1 MBP, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM) I've been confronted with that downright garish, ugly as sin wallpaper that comes up upon boot up and remains as the desktop wallpaper until the user screams for mercy..... AIEEEEEEEE!!!!! In my case, it was a matter of standing it only so long while doing some of the basic setup stuff, and then grabbing one of my photo backup external SSDs and plugging that in so I could stick some photos in this thing and set up my desktop wallpaper and screensavers with my own images and with something much, much more to my liking!

WHAT was Apple thinking, with this way oversaturated wallpaper??!!!
You are the Apple Whisperer—use your clout to make 'em change :D

The ugly one we're talking about is the screen where you enter your name and password. It looks like this, and can't be changed.

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 08.53.37.jpg

Making progress now, the new machine is definitely beginning to feel like a member of this household! Still have a few more apps to add, a few little more tweaks to make here-and-there, but I'm really pleased with this speedy little computer!

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 2.36.26 PM.png

Latest threads

Top Bottom