Big Thompson Flooding

The mountains to the west have had as much as 12" of rain over a 24 hour period. Many dams are now being overflowing. A few earthen dams have broke.

Estes Park is being flooded and the dam at Estes lake had to be fully opened to prevent the whole dam from being compromised. Estes Park is now cut off because every road out of there has now been washed away.

The Big Thompson River starts at Estes lake and travels down Big Thompson Canyon. Many cabins and HWY 34 have been washed away in the canyon.

Here are a few photos from today. Sorry for the bad quality, I didn't take a lot of time to photograph and it was raining so the lens had quite a bit of water on it.

Most of the town is shut down since there is only one road open going over the Big Thompson right now, I would have liked to get some more photos.

Big Thompson a little east of Big Thompson Elementary around 9:00 am.

Big-Thompson-Flood by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Around 9:10 am at the old dam down 29 (just north east of Sylvandale Ranch

Big-Thompson-Flood-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Looking West towards the ranch

Big-Thompson-Flood-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

My shop and yard is located a couple hundred yards from the Big Thompson on SE 8th. It is in the 100 year flood plain.

Big-Thompson-Flood-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

My sandblast yard. Some of it is under 3-4 feet of water. Luckily we got our equipment out of there.

Big-Thompson-Flood-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Wow!!! Stay safe and dry, Andrew!! I used to live in CO. and lived in Golden, Vail, and Greeley (UNC student then)_ rode past Estes Park to student teach, and if I recall Estes Park was just a short distance from Ft. Collins. I do remember camping in Estes Park, and horseback riding. Just a beautiful rustic area it was! Incredible pictures, that do tell a story of the devastation there.

Again, stay safe! Hope you don't lose anything for your business and that you and your family are safe. My prayers for you.....

Blessings,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A few more photos

I tried to get to my shop to see if it was all right, but there is no way to get north over the river. My shop is located only a couple hundred yards from the Big Thompson river, so it is probably flooded.

This photo was taken a block west of 287, just north of 402. The river is usually around 1/4 mile from here, but as you can see, it is no longer that far away.

Big-Thompson-Flood-6 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Not being able to drive north on 287, I tried 1st Street. No go as well. The river was flowing right down Taft. The river is usually under the bridge about 1 mile from this spot (you can just barely see it in the center of the image).

Big-Thompson-Flood-7 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

I gave up after that and just drove around. Marianna Butte Golf course.

Big-Thompson-Flood-8 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

This WAS HWY 34. It is now a mile wide (or wider) river

Big-Thompson-Flood-9 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Big-Thompson-Flood-10 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Incredible. Thanks for sharing. Such a beautiful area, hopefully no loss of life!

P

photogramps

Been watching some of this on the national news, they say more rain is on its way :(
Hope you all keep safe and don't suffer too much loss.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
We are supposed to drive into the Academy in Colorado Springs Sept 22. Hope things have recovered by then!

That is insane. I lived in Boulder most of the 90s and we rarely had a hard rain, let alone 6" of rain in a day. I remember a string of 30 drizzly/rainy days in the spring where Boulder Creek got fairly high and fast, but this is a once-in-a-milennium type of weather event.

Sean

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just got done cleaning up my shop. Spent the day taking all the equipment/tools out and washing them down, then washing out the shop and setting everything back in its place. Tired out and moved a few tons of mud, but it is now finished. There was a few inches of mud left over from the flood inside and around a foot or so of mud in the parking lot. The water level got to 15" inside the shop.

Inside my office.

Big-Thompson-Flood-12 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

A view from inside the shop looking to the west.

Big-Thompson-Flood-13 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

The sandblasting yard still has a river running through it. There are also a few shipping containers in the yard that don't belong there (they belong about an 1/8 of a mile to the west.), but they won't be able to moved until the mud dries up.

I sure hope you Colorado guys are doing well. I got off VERY light compared to a whole lot of people.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom