Biggin Hill Second Series D2x/200-400VR

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Pete Lethbridge, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Here are a short series of Spitfires. This actual shot was taken with the D70/70-200VR in 2004. I had to add some prop blur in PS as I had used too fast a shutter speed. I'd like to thanks Brad Morris for his instruction on how to achieve this effect.

original.

Back to 2005 and with the D2x
    View attachment 15159

Now this has to be the most beautiful profile that has ever graced the skies
    View attachment 15160

Staying with the WW2 era, here are a couple of P47 Thunderbolt shots
    View attachment 15161
    View attachment 15162

Those Mustags from a different angle to the first series
    View attachment 15163

PBY
    View attachment 15164

Storch
    View attachment 15165

Staying with the prop aircraft, here are a couple of Pitts
    View attachment 15166
    View attachment 15167

The Honda Su26
    View attachment 15168

Early jets. Here are two Hunters in formation with a Gnatt
    View attachment 15169
    View attachment 15170
    For the life of me I can't remember what this is
    View attachment 15171

Bringing things up to date, here a belly shot of the Eurofighter Typhoon with the heaters on
    View attachment 15172

This is a 757 on a fast low pass, not something you see every day
    View attachment 15173

Lastly, an early army helicopter
    View attachment 15174

Hope you like them

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Stunning!!!!
    Wish I were there. I love planes.

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Once again, Great shots, and what technique for that 2004 prop blur in PS were you talking about? I have a few oops from when I forgot to change the shutter from Jets to prop settings. Great captures and good job panning! How is your left arm? :) And how did the big 200-400 handle for a full day of shooting.

One other question, what focus/metering method did you use on your D2X. I would like to file that away for future reference.

At Oshkosh this past year I had good luck with the 300 f4 AFS on my D70, but at times wanted to zoom in or out a bit on different size aircraft.

Nice shots,

Cheers,

Wade

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005
  5. Answer

Wade,

I think the 200-400 is the perfect lens for airshows. The previous year I used the 70-200 with a 1.4. It didn't give me the reach I wanted. Even with the 200-400, there we times when I wanted more. However, most of the time it was spot on. I used a Sidekick on a G1228 with a Markins M10 head. The Sidekick takes all the pain out of it, as you canbalance the lens perfectly, so movement is effortless and accurate.

Bad Morris sent me these instructions for creating prop blur on the first picture:

- duplicate the background layer.

- on the new layer select the eliptical marquis tool, hold the alt key and select the area around one of the props. by holding the alt key you can place the cursor on the spinner and it will grow the elipse selection from the centre. adjust the selection to the tips of the propeller blades

- use the radial blur filter, it doesnt need a large value but use some trial and error to get it looking right. the blur will only effect the area inside the elipse

- the radial blur will blur the prop but also the underlying aircraft body, use the eraser tool to erase the blurred bars of the body not covered by the propeller blades, the unblurred underlying layer will show through

- repeat for the 2nd aircraft.

- flatten the image

Pete

6. Pete, these are great. Really impressive.

7. Thanks Mike

It was a good day on the whole, though the visibility got worse as later in the day.

8. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Pete,

Congratulations - these are a very impressive set of images. You seem to have nailed so many of them (some in unusual angles too which makes them even more interesting)

Would have loved to have been there - love to see the jets also.

9. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Great shots pete.Crisp & clear.

Were you in another plane for some of these. Some look as if youre flying beside them.

10. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
  11. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I do like the US prop planes but the grace of those Spits is just amazing.

Excellent work!

12. Thats True

However, the Mustang (when flying) looks so much more purposeful. I never realised how elliptical the wings are on the P47.

Thanks for you comments Patrick

Pete

13. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Ah ha, now I know how your left arm was able to hold the 200-400, it had the help of a tripod. :) At Oshkosh, I didn't want to carry the 200-400 and tripod and other photo gear for the 5-6 miles of walking I do each day, plus, being at the minimum FAA distance to the aerobatic box, the verticle angles were very steep so my sidekick wouldn't have worked to well from my sitting position along the taxi way. May consider staying a bit further back and standing with the tripod next year. The sidekick is nice, I love mine,

thanks for the quick tutorial on the Ps method forprop blur.

cheers,

Wade

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Outstanding captures...each and every one!