Bigma opinions ?

Been researching for super telephoto lens and came across the Sigma 50-500mm. Excellent reviews everywhere you look and well the price fits the bill.

What are you guys' opinions on it ? any sample pics ?

I will be keeping my 80-200 and we'll use the bigma for surfing and nature pics.

K

Ken-L

It's heavy. I got decent shots handheld at 500mm on a D70. Did I mention that it is heavy? Really needs a sturdy tripod.

I have one

I have one for sale. One of our members was going to buy but had some auto difficulties and had to back out. I also have the 1.4 extender; sold the 2.0 to another of our members. I haven't used it much since I bought the Nikkor 200-400. PM me if you are interested.

I had one when I first got my D70. It was a very nice, sharp, fast focusing lens. I sold it because I thought that I needed a faster (larger aperture) lens for shooting flying birdies and to some extent, that is true. I kind of regret selling my copy though. It gave a lot of bang for the buck (I paid 7 times as much for my 300 2.8 as I did for the Bigma). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
If (just a very remote if :biggrin:) I want the reach of 500mm but doesn't really need to zoom down to 50mm, it's the 170-500mm a better choice than the Bigma?

Optical quality

I don't own the 170-500; I do own the 50-500. I have been told that the 50-500 is much sharper. But that is hearsay.

M

mike17112

I have one of the newer 50-500mm, I bought it last September. I'm quite pleased with although I have a lot to learn. Heres a picture I took recently with it.

D70s, Sigma 50-500, SB-800, SB-600

Feel free to offer advice on how to improve my pictures, thats what I'm here for .. to learn.

TuftedTitmouse.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mike17112 said:
I have one of the newer 50-500mm, I bought it last September. I'm quite pleased with although I have a lot to learn. Heres a picture I took recently with it.

D70s, Sigma 50-500, SB-800, SB-600

Feel free to offer advice on how to improve my pictures, thats what I'm here for .. to learn.

TuftedTitmouse.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Excellent shot Mike. This is what I saw with the Bigma that I had. It ain't perfect, but it gives a whole lot of bang for the buck. :smile:

I

Idor

SilverEagle said:
I get decent results with mine. f/8.0 is about the limit on my lens.

Me too.... from what i heard, f8.0 sounds about correct....

how does the 80-400 OS compares to it ?

really worried about 500mm without a tripod... the OS at 400mm sounds better..

What you guys think ?

equetefue said:
how does the 80-400 OS compares to it ?

really worried about 500mm without a tripod... the OS at 400mm sounds better..

What you guys think ?

It's possible to shoot the Bigma without a tripod, but I don't think that you would be consistently happy with the results, and it's pretty heavy to do for very long.

Never shot with the 80-400 OS, so I can't give feedback on it.

I don't believe the 80-400 has HSM. If fast focusing is a concern, it might be an additional consideration. I haven't shot with either but did research them quite a bit about a year ago. Now if Nikon could add AFS to their 80-400, that would make an interesting alternative.

Latest threads

Top Bottom