Bike ride

Discussion in 'People' started by Panos Kazanelis, May 3, 2007.

1. India's road transportation industry is incomplete without the mention of bicycles, which were the basic mode of transportation in the country from the early 1950s. As late as the year 2000, the cycle industry in India was the second largest in the world (next to China) and was estimated at Rs 100 bn (12 mn units per annum).

Bicycles have been one of the most prominent modes of road transport in rural and urban India since the 1950s. Since the two-wheeler industry gained momentum only in the 1980s, bicycles with their affordable pricing were the major means of personal transport across the country. It was only after the two-wheeler industry, especially the moped and the scooter segments, picked up, that the use of bicycles went down in urban areas. Rural markets continued as a major market for bicycles.

By the mid-1990s, bicycles lost their position as the most widely used mode of personal transportation in urban India, which saw a flood of two-wheeler models suiting the pockets of various customer segments. The lower-income groups, who until then could only afford bicycles, upgraded to entry-level mopeds, scooters or motorcycles, which were much faster and more convenient. The growth in rural segments for bicycles also reduced marginally, with the popularity of mopeds and scooters going up.

All images shot with D200 & Nikkor AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED N

click on image for larger better quality view
    View attachment 93570
  2. I'm enjoying seeing India through your eyes and camera, Panos. The stories, the colours - all wonderful.
  3. Excellent captures, Panos.
  4. Thanks Sandi and Phil :smile:

India, in its vastness, has so many views I was told that even if I stayed for three years (yes 3) I wouldn't have seen it all... :eek:
  5. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

great shots..

both of them..
  6. These are wonderful images Panos. Are these taken with 80-200?
  7. I like both of these shots Panos but the first is my favorite. Very nice.
  8. srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Love the DOF and sharpness of that first image. The D200 paired with the 80-200 or 70-200 is a great tool in the right hands. Clearly yours are!

Well done.
  9. Nice pictures, like the DOF.
  10. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice Panos
    Interesting as well
  11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

The first is exceptionally fine Panos. And thank you for posting your images big enough to really see something.
  12. Thanks Maurice.

Yeap, the good ol' Nikkor AF 80-200 D ED N.

Thanks Gordon. I like the first one most. I feel like it's one of those photos that really make you happy watching them.

Thanks Scott. Indeed the 80-200 N is a great pair with the D200 :smile:
  13. Both are cool Panos............. but #1 is an astounding visually stunning photograph.