Bill’s (BillM) 52 Week Project 2020 (Week 11)

Week 4 - de-cluttering is a four-letter word. :D (I won't show my current efforts. Yet)

Week 5 - Puppies! Always a winner. Nice work with the SOOC and white puppies.

Now the conundrum is whether or not an Apple HEIC image from an iPhone X uploaded counts as a jpeg file, it is SOOC :)

View attachment 1652392
Cute shot of the two friends 😊

Week 2's SOOC submission shows how well Active D-Lighting works. Technical details: Nikon Z6, Standard Picture Control with auto quick sharpening, active D-lighting High, WB Direct Sunlight

View attachment 1652988

Our new sun room is nearly ready, this was taken before the electricians arrived to install outlets, ceiling fans and hook up the heat pump. The the vertical blinds are supposed to be installed in a few weeks.
Nice shot in difficult light - well done

Staying with the SOOC theme, here are 4 from today.

Still have not picked a favorite yet, there are 2 days left in the week :)

All with Z6, Standard Picture Control, Active D-LIghting on Auto. Orchid WB is Auto-1 and the rest Natural Light Auto.

35mm f/1.8S Z6
View attachment 1653639

And I tried using the 200-500 with the Z6 with some very nice results. Handheld, the V/R makes the image jump around between frames and presents a challenge to properly frame the image.

An orchid in the windowsill
View attachment 1653640

The view across the marsh and the creek
View attachment 1653641

A birdhouse in the backyard
View attachment 1653642
That first one is very cool :cool:
Love the bird house too(y)

Week 4 brings a failed attempt at de-cluttering - X100F Acros + Ye Film Simulation

A failed attempt at de-cluttering
View attachment 1654132

And some from this morning's rain - Z6 Standard Picture Control (auto quick sharp) - ADL Off

A tired decorative flower pot holder
View attachment 1654133

Our portable greenhouse is a little worse for the wear - Time for a new one
View attachment 1654134

And lastly Z6 - ADL Auto - I think my wife is trying to make a statement about whose tools are whose :)
View attachment 1654135
Nice series here - those tools are awesome I have never seen them in pink before

This week was very hectic and not much photo taking. Had to travel for an old client for 3 days, picked up our two new members of the family on Friday and was able to take some pictures. In sticking to the SOOC theme, these were uploaded to Flickr without modification.

Meet Lilly and Rose
View attachment 1654637

This one is slightly underexposed
View attachment 1654638

Taking pictures of rapidly moving puppies with bad knees is not easy. There may be more puppy pictures over the next few weeks :)
Awww they are too cure - looking forward to seeing more of them

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Week 6

Continuing with the SOOC Theme

D4 Standard Picture Control - ADL Auto - Sharpening Auto - Contrast +1 - Saturation Auto

Lilly - posing nicely after rolling in the pine straw and grass :)
49508052171_7265e39067_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lilly with a friend
49508274212_616f6c326b_b.jpg

And a blast from the past - Olympus E-10 - Default Settings - It still works!
49508274102_9d62cc2fa0_b.jpg

I tried to do more with the E-10 out of nostalgia, it was my first digital camera with a somewhat usable viewfinder.

All uploaded without modifications to Flickr. The first one which is my favorite could use a little spot removal in post for sure and that would be easy to do in LightRoom.

Last edited:
Week 6

Continuing with the SOOC Theme

D4 Standard Picture Control - ADL Auto - Sharpening Auto - Contrast +1 - Saturation Auto

Lilly - posing nicely after rolling in the pine straw and grass :)
View attachment 1654997

Lilly with a friend
View attachment 1654998

And a blast from the past - Olympus E-10 - Default Settings - It still works!
View attachment 1654999

I tried to do more with the E-10 out of nostalgia, it was my first digital camera with a somewhat usable viewfinder.

All uploaded without modifications to Flickr. The first one which is my favorite could use a little spot removal in post for sure and that would be easy to do in LightRoom.
Lily is too cute 🥰 Wonderful pictures
That E-10 must be almost 20 years old? Nothing wrong with the picture quality(y)

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Nicely done. My grand dog is also Lily, but she's a black pit-bull/terrier mix.
Very nice. Enjoying the pup pics. :)
Lily is too cute 🥰 Wonderful pictures
That E-10 must be almost 20 years old? Nothing wrong with the picture quality(y)
Thanks Nick, Gordo and Morten!

The E-10 is from 2001 and I think cost around $2,000.00 USD at the time. It gave us many years of good use. Mary used it for company portraits and location shoots. Two portable flash units with umbrellas, well lit subjects and it did an amazingly good job. 4 MP is laughable to most people these days, its tiny LCD, slow start up and primitive menu system make me appreciate my more modern cameras a lot! I should note that you can get over a hundred images on a 128 megabyte CF card :)

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Last edited:
Lily is just adorable! The two puppies look so much alike, how do you tell them apart?

That E-10 still does a nice job -- amazing, isn't it? I think I've still got my first digital camera -- the Nikon Coolpix 900 -- around here somewhere but I doubt v very much that it still works. I'd be surprised.....

I've got a folder in my Pictures folder where I stash all the images I've shot and processed during the week; then I look through them on Sunday and select the ones I think are the best, or sometimes are just plain my personal favorites! They go into a separate folder to make it easy for uploading them here. Ones I haven't processed usually don't see the light of day, and I'm trying to be better and more efficient about culling them and tossing the ones I KNOW I won't be editing and simply keeping the ones which I might edit "some day," that that day ever domes. I have also started a gallery on my Zenfolio site with all of my weeks so far and will continue that through the entire project.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Lily is just adorable! The two puppies look so much alike, how do you tell them apart?

That E-10 still does a nice job -- amazing, isn't it? I think I've still got my first digital camera -- the Nikon Coolpix 900 -- around here somewhere but I doubt v very much that it still works. I'd be surprised.....
We are starting to learn their personalities. Lilly is slightly larger and has a more forward personality. Rose is slightly darker. But to make it easy they have different collars :)

The only reason the E-10 still works is it was stored without batteries and now it has Eneloops which do not rot out and corrode whatever they are in like alkaline batteries do.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
This week, I am continuing with some love for the D4. After all it was Valentine's Day yesterday ♥

D4 Standard Picture Control +1 Quick Sharp, ADL Auto, AWB. SOOC JPG's uploaded to Flickr without modification.

Found this box of chocolates with a perfectly themed cover image for Mary

49537682498_e847837885_b.jpg

With our two puppies and granddog Baylee in the house for the week, there are leashes and harnesses aplenty

49538176541_0bf05bd711_b.jpg

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Nice capture and lighting with the shot of dog leashes/harnesses, etc! Perfect place to put them, too, easy to grab when needed. Such a perfect card for Valentine's Day, too, with the two dogs on the front!
Thank you Connie! When I saw the box of chocolates with the two light colored Golden Retriever puppies on it, my card shopping was over :)

Loving the use of light and shadow!
Thank you Gordon! Everything fell into place as the light changed with the moving clouds and the sun rose higher.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom