Bill’s (BillM) 52 Week Project 2020 (Week 8)

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Staying with the SOOC theme, here are 4 from today.

Still have not picked a favorite yet, there are 2 days left in the week :)

All with Z6, Standard Picture Control, Active D-LIghting on Auto. Orchid WB is Auto-1 and the rest Natural Light Auto.

35mm f/1.8S Z6
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And I tried using the 200-500 with the Z6 with some very nice results. Handheld, the V/R makes the image jump around between frames and presents a challenge to properly frame the image.

An orchid in the windowsill

The view across the marsh and the creek

A birdhouse in the backyard

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Thank you Nick!

All with the Standard Picture Control and Active D-Lighting set to Auto.

Elmo was with default Standard Picture Control settings, the rest are with Quick Sharpening set to Auto. Quick Sharpening Auto affects Sharpening, Mid-Range Sharpening and Clarity.

For white balance, my current go to settings are for Natural Light Auto if the lighting is mostly from outside and Auto-1 for most other things.

All images are truly straight out of the camera with no adjustments.

So.....you're shooting in pretty much in some sort of auto mode with the outcome in jpg, rather than shooting in RAW and then doing any post-processing? I"m not sure what "Standard Picture Control" is.... I do vaguely recall Active D-Lighting in the days when I used Nikon, so that term at least sounds familiar. Essentially, then, you're using the camera as a P&S? Just trying to figure this out....

Anyway, the results SOOC are nice, and I especially like the view you have across the marsh! Wow!

Thank you Nick!

All with the Standard Picture Control and Active D-Lighting set to Auto.

Elmo was with default Standard Picture Control settings, the rest are with Quick Sharpening set to Auto. Quick Sharpening Auto affects Sharpening, Mid-Range Sharpening and Clarity.

For white balance, my current go to settings are for Natural Light Auto if the lighting is mostly from outside and Auto-1 for most other things.

All images are truly straight out of the camera with no adjustments.
I know Will (Trenchmonkey) is a big proponent of shooting in jpg, and letting the camera handle the processing. More time spent shooting. less time behind a computer. Whatever his "special sauce" his results are always excellent.

I used to be intimidated by the idea of shooting in RAW and it was Dave Watts (not an active member here any more) who showed me and taught me what I needed to know, encouraged me to explore the possibilities of being able to get an image to come out the way I wanted rather than just accepting the way the camera decided it should be....... Even at that I was never very enthusiastic about the whole post-processing piece of this but am finally beginning to come around with regard to that, especially since editing software now is much sophisticated and yet also somewhat easier to use than it was several years ago. Once on a while I actually find myself having fun with editing my images, something I never thought would happen, and also find myself pleased with the results.....

That said, I'm still much happier doing the shooting and also trying to get the image(s) right in the camera in the first place but at least now I don't approach PP with dread. That's progress!

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Thanks Connie, the view of the marsh was a key factor in us buying the house 3-1/2 years ago.

For basic color and normal scenes I use the “Standard” picture control as a starting point, if the light is extremely contrasts the “Neutral” Picture Control and for some garden and landscape pictures the “Landscape” picture control. On a friend of mine’s Sony A7R series I have briefly used, there was a setting for JPEG called “Natural” if I remember correctly that I liked.

While I enjoy editing images, I get a lot of satisfaction from getting it right in the camera. I am forced to compose more carefully and to really pay attention to exposure. Sort of like shooting slide film in the before time :)

OK, I just looked up Picture Control and read a little about it and what can be done vis-a-vis making adjustments, too, all right-in-camera. Now I have a somewhat better idea what this is all about, but my concern would be that if you're making adjustments in-camera you're only able to go by what you're seeing either in the EVF or on the small LCD screen as opposed to working with an image later in the computer in some sort of editing program..... Seems to me that it would be too easy to overshoot the mark, especially with sharpness or colors, etc., so that again the image doesn't come out quite as expected after all..... Something which is oversharpened or conversely not sharpened enough or which is a little too vivid or oversaturated in color can be problematic, too.

That said, yes, with today's EVF in mirrorless cameras we certainly have advantages over what we used to have to do in the days of manual everything: manual exposure, manual focus, manual metering and pretty much guesswork at what the final image was actually going to look like!

I think it's funny that some young people today shoot their digital cameras in all-manual and take great pride in this as though it's a big deal, a unique accomplishment..... Their digital cameras today are going to produce much better results than what we used back in the 1960's and 1970's anyway, especially in terms of what the camera does with what it sees regardless of what the user does.

OK, I just looked up Picture Control and read a little about it and what can be done vis-a-vis making adjustments, too, all right-in-camera. Now I have a somewhat better idea what this is all about, but my concern would be that if you're making adjustments in-camera you're only able to go by what you're seeing either in the EVF or on the small LCD screen as opposed to working with an image later in the computer in some sort of editing program..... Seems to me that it would be too easy to overshoot the mark, especially with sharpness or colors, etc., so that again the image doesn't come out quite as expected after all..... Something which is oversharpened or conversely not sharpened enough or which is a little too vivid or oversaturated in color can be problematic, too.

That said, yes, with today's EVF in mirrorless cameras we certainly have advantages over what we used to have to do in the days of manual everything: manual exposure, manual focus, manual metering and pretty much guesswork at what the final image was actually going to look like!

I think it's funny that some young people today shoot their digital cameras in all-manual and take great pride in this as though it's a big deal, a unique accomplishment..... Their digital cameras today are going to produce much better results than what we used back in the 1960's and 1970's anyway, especially in terms of what the camera does with what it sees regardless of what the user does.
Picture Controls are like film emulsions/film types.

I think of shooting jpeg as auto(mated) post processing. You have a lot of control over how the jpeg gets created via in-camera settings but quite a bit is out of your hands, controlled by decisions made by the manufacturer. Some serious photographers choose camera bodies (and brands) based on the quality (a subjective judgement, of course) of the SOOC images. I enjoy PP. Probably related to my enjoyment of repairing old photos. But I still shoot jpeg occasionally. I might roll this challenge/restriction into some of my 52 week offerings. Might be fun.

Thanks, Nick! That explanation nails it for me. :). Yeah, it's been a long time since I have shot in jpg only; I think it was when I bought a new camera right at the time of release and no one had yet come out with the RAW info..... I will say, it was fun and easy just shooting in jpg but as soon as the RAW conversion info for that camera became available in my editing program I was ready to start using it!

These days in most editing programs one can actually do a certain amount of editing/adjusting of jpg images but it still is not the same level of control that one has when shooting in RAW and then working on those images in PP. Once I finally grasped what RAW could do, the flexibility it offers in working with images in PP, I was hooked and remain so....

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Thanks to everyone for your contributions to this thread and especially to those participating in this year's 52 week challenge. It makes being a member of the Cafe very enjoyable!

I agree with @bpdougd and my pick for Week 3 is "An orchid in the windowsill"

Details: Nikon Z6, 200-500 Zoom, Standard Picture Control with Quick Sharpening set to Auto, Active D-Lighting Auto, WB Auto 1 - SOOC

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom