Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park.

The park, recently renovated, is located in Key Biscayne here in the city of Miami. It is a short ride from downtown Miami across the Rickenbacker causeway. Key Biscayne is beautiful and a popular tourist place in winter.

Cape Florida was the name Ponce de Leon gave this area when he came to these shores in his first expedition in 1513. The Cape Florida lighthouse, shown here, was completed in 1825 but suffered heavy damage during the Seminole war. It was restored in 1846 and remains as the oldest standing structure in Miami Dade County.

In 1992 Hurricane Andrew uprooted a forest of non native Australian pine trees that dominated the landscape and left the park nearly treeless. Today, after the restoration, a variety of natural habitats from mangrove to maritime hammock can be seen at Cape Florida.

Depending on the season more than 50 species of butterflies and 170 bird species may be seen here. Sea turtles nest along the beach in summer and green sea turtles and manatees often graze in the seagrass beds offshore.

_DSC0221_1_zps79158f0c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I used my D7000 but not sure if I used the 18-70 or the 18-105 VR.
Original JPEG selecting Landscape in Picture Control. Saturation was + 1
sRGB color space.
I used a cheap Dolica tripod with my favorite Linhof ballhead. I waited for the two children to walk to the left of the frame to help composition and improve balance.
The file was edited in Capture NX2.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Latest threads

Top Bottom