Bill, this is just waiting for you!

Saw this and thought of you. It's not South America, but it is south Jersey. :biggrin:

4503256654_8bd6d03474_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Chris
Wow! Looks nice. If I were thinking of retiring to New Jersey (and who isn't!) it would be cool to open a hobby camera and music shop. And an ppartment is included! How cool~

If you had a camera and music shop, Chris, I'd come and buy some cameras and music. A Leica and a Dobro, for instance.
Let us know.

D

Deleted member 960

What a funky little storefront! Thanks, Samuel!:cool: I'd be living there, my
ideal combo.:wink:

Real Name
Chris
Perhaps they have such a place in "South America"? Where, by the way, in that huge continent, are you considering moving to? I wouldn't mind living in oxygen deprived, hallucinogen rich, head-hunting South America, but I would hate to live in communist run, drug cartel'd, painfully poor South America. That and half the continent speaks a language (Portuguese) I can't understand!

D

Deleted member 960

Perhaps they have such a place in "South America"? Where, by the way, in that huge continent, are you considering moving to? I wouldn't mind living in oxygen deprived, hallucinogen rich, head-hunting South America, but I would hate to live in communist run, drug cartel'd, painfully poor South America. That and half the continent speaks a language (Portuguese) I can't understand!

Chris, it's looking like Ecuador for me. It has the right mix of what I'm after in
terms of quality of life, culture, scenery, etc. From now to when I move, I have
to pare down considerably what I will take. Initially I was planning on moving
every 1-2 years to wherever, and that still is an option.

That and half the continent speaks a language (Portuguese) I can't understand!

Oh, but the women are so worth it!!! Been a long time, but some memories don't fade. You don't think that dumb governor didn't have a darn good reason to screw up his career???:biggrin: I work with an Argentinian and a Colombian...I love both of them!:biggrin:

I'm off to Brazil soon.
Hope to have some time off work...
I spent some time in Ecuador as well, in Guayaquil. A couple hours drive and you're in Salinas. A camera shop there would be a nice retirement.

Real Name
Chris
Chris, it's looking like Ecuador for me. It has the right mix of what I'm after in
terms of quality of life, culture, scenery, etc. ...

Bill, you know that the Schuar head hunters live in Ecuador, right?

headhunter.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D

Deleted member 960

Chris, *love that shot* I'm pretty sure they've been rehabilitated, haven't they? Most of
the shrunken heads you see nowadays are of latex. I'm gonna think to that, anyway. lol

@Tormod, I'm leaning towards either Cuenca or Quito as my first stop after splashdown. That
of course may change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Chris
Hey Bill - I'm currently working on a fictional photo-essay about head hunting, and so I have done a bit of research. The last documented taking of a tsantsa was in the 1960's. A mining operation was fouling the water of a stream used by a Shuar village. The shrunk the head of the manager of the plant, and the company (European, I believe) left the area shortly thereafter. The land previously occupied by the mine has been abandoned and unused since. The Shuar people avoid the place as it is said to cause illness.

There are apparently still people alive who have seen the act of taking and making the tsantsa, and who possess the knowledge to do it again. Since it is illegal to take heads or even trade in tsantsas in Ecuador and other South American countries, I doubt that it would be publicized if it were to have happened since.

ps, my prop is indeed plastic. There are leather ones available for under $50 on the internet, that look very authentic. They are said to be made from monkeys or goats.

D

Deleted member 960

Interesting, Chris, and thanks for the info. If you ever see a tsantsa with
salt and cinnamon hair and sunburned skin, that might be my little misadventure.:biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom