Binary Palindrome

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Oct 1, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Here's a weird off-the-wall question: What's the first binary palindrome of the millinium (assuming 2000 will read '00')?

2. jb007

jb007 Guest

2047?

2000dec = 111,1101,0000bin
    So the first fully binary palindrome in the new millenium is:
    2047dec = 111,1111,1111bin
    So, the answer is 2047?
    (However, I don't understand your "00" comment so may have answered a different puzzle to the one you've asked?)

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    boy wish I could remember all that from 40 years ago :<(((

4. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I saw one of those, well... actuallly a whole herd of'em when I was in Yellowstone the other week. Man! They have some wicked looking horns! :biggrin:
    Ya'll are making my head hurt!
    Jarrell

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wasn't it the eleventh of october back in '01? Or might the europeans think it was the tenth of november same year?

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Ah, that's an interpretation I didn't think of. I didn't mean convert the date to binary, as it shows up on the Gregorian callendar. i.e., today's date would be 10.01.05 (December 1, 2005)

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Ha! Did you figure that out, or did you know it from Ximina?

I've just been thinking, and was wondering if I had missed a possibility before October 2001.

I think Europeans do yyyy/mm/dd as opposed to the American way of mm/dd/yy - so the 2 in 2001 would make it not binary, lopping off the '20' then, yes I guess so. 01.11.10 or 10.11.01 - I figure the next one is not until 2010, and another in 2011, so that makes 3 binary palendromic dates for the entire millinium? Did I miss any?

The reason I asked was I was just thinking about it, and besides it just being a pretty cool day to pick for my daughter to be born - I was thinking binary palnidrome when I picked it, but it just occured to me how rare and special that year is.

You know my daughter is gonna be a geek if she has to explain her birthday to everyone :D

8. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Gale & Jarrell, that's pretty funny guys! Yeah, I'm pretty geekish - a holdover from my hacker days in high school.

9. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Doh..........you colonials know the square root of ..... :eek: :eek: ..........

"Yes dear I know it's rude to swear on the internettyweb thing."

Actually Greg, we 'do it', dd/mm/yyyy, it's naturally progressive, as in the 1st day of the 1st month of the year so and so. It worked for the Romans, Greeks and even the Senapods, so why mess with it? Youngsters always think they know better :biggrin:

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Unfortunately I think we are going to be stoned to death by the Mods Paul.

Something about heresy, instability and political debate.
    BRING THEM ON! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Another quiet Sunday on the edge.

PS I'm out of Nomex right now. I depend on speed and dexterity to survive; that's why I'm covered in cuts and bruises, I'm slow and old. :Shocked:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2005
  12. I am not sure what coding you mean by '00': is it Binary Coded Decimal(BCD, see here), where each decimal digit is encoded in binary? is it hexadecimal, so 2048 would be coded as 2000 + 48 and 48 is hexadecimal 0x30, reading as '30' in your convention?

Anyway, if in hexadecimal, the first binary palindrome is 0001-1000 (hex 18), which would be 2024 (0x18 is 24 decimal). If coded in BCD, it still would be 0001-1000, but the meaning would be 18, as in 2018.

Talk about geeks! :eek: :biggrin:

13. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Oh you guys have got to get some fresh air! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
    Honest, it's good for you. Look at my avatar and you'll see, a few hours a day under the heat haze and your ears grow. :smile:

La la la la la la la la la la ................ :eek:

14. Yes, but if you want to sort things by date, it's better to use yyyy/mm/dd, like Japan does: just write the numbers down that way and the highest number is the later date. None of the other formats have that "property".

Given that numbering, 2001/10/02 would be the first palindrome after 2000: October 2nd 2001. Not binary numbers, but ... oh never mind! :confused: :biggrin: :smile: :biggrin:

15. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    My Japanese is even more limited than my American. :biggrin:

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    BCD - ? - I can't even believe you just said that. Next thing you'll tell us that TTL does not mean thru the lens.

(I'm not just a geek, I'm an old gek.)

17. Well, as a matter of fact, yes I could... but wouldn't that just add to the overall confusion? :redface: :rolleyes: :smile: :biggrin:

I'm not that old, although I must be a geek ( :rolleyes: ), but I remember working with this stuff in my "early" days... (nostalgia)... :wink:

18. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, when you look at hexdecimal or decimal converted to binary, it's still later in the century that straight non-converted decimal i.e., 10.11.01, so I guess that still makes 10.11.01 the first first binary palindrome of the millinium, huh.