Bio help needed

I really don't like writing about myself. I think writing a bio is something I dread more than "How do I price my work?" :biggrin:

I have the opportunity to display at two local businesses next week and I was asked for a bio/Artist's Statement.

Here's what I just jotted down:

Neal was born at a very early age, in a hospital so he could be close to his mother....

Neal has had the opportunity to photograph weddings, portraits, and many local concerts, including artists such as: DecembeRadio, ApologetiX, Jars of Clay, Newsboys, Casting Crowns and Third Day. He photographed the Awakening Music Festival in 2008 and 2009.

Neal eats cinnamon graham crackers with the cinnamon side down.... See More

Neal doesn't like writing in the 3rd Person.

:biggrin:

I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating and I think you could go this route if you want to subtly mock the "Please write a bio about yourself" idea:

"A special operations commando twice-decorated for his heroic single-handed evacuation of women, orphans, and cripples of a besieged Somali hamlet, _______ likes to relax by carrying harnesses of water up hundreds of stone steps to his Shaolin masters, bench-pressing jeeps, and opening stubborn jelly jars. When not leaping out of burning airplanes, saving kittens, or lamenting about how war is hell, he can usually be found improving his Word Power in the latest Reader's Digest."

Sean

I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating and I think you could go this route if you want to subtly mock the "Please write a bio about yourself" idea:

"A special operations commando twice-decorated for his heroic single-handed evacuation of women, orphans, and cripples of a besieged Somali hamlet, _______ likes to relax by carrying harnesses of water up hundreds of stone steps to his Shaolin masters, bench-pressing jeeps, and opening stubborn jelly jars. When not leaping out of burning airplanes, saving kittens, or lamenting about how war is hell, he can usually be found improving his Word Power in the latest Reader's Digest."

Sean

How did you know?!

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
I wouldn't be cutsie because you have no idea how people will take it and what you think funny can easily come across as childish or with a lack of seriousness. If I was looking to buy or hire someone, I would be absolutley put off by mockery; I have no idea if you'll take what I may want you to do seriously.

Neal has been taking pictures since... and was inspired by ....
He started as a ... and has progressed through until now he shoots with the ..... which provides him with the quality and dependability etc.
His formal/informal training was .... and he continues,,,.
His particular interest is..... altho he has occasionally strayed into when tempted by good offers.
'I think that pictures should be more than.... and ...."

straightforward, not hoky, not spiritual, tell it like it is. represent your equipment, your work and your philosophy in a matter of fact and understandable way.

Listen to Lew, he's dead on right, I have a facetious sense of humor tinged with a tad of sarcasm, it files like a lead brick in print.

Keep it straight and to the point.

Ask a few close friends for suggestions. They are the ones that know you well and can describe you from an outsider looking in.

Listen to Lew, he's dead on right, I have a facetious sense of humor tinged with a tad of sarcasm, it files like a lead brick in print.

Keep it straight and to the point.

That sounds like me! :biggrin: Gawd, there's 2 of us????

Seriously, Lew is right--keep it light and informal, but leave out the sarcastic digs--Tom and I may love it, but you wont make much money off of us!

Here's what my wife came up with:

Neal Jacob, Photographer

From snapshots to artful images, from a 110 pocket camera to a Nikon digital SLR, Neal Jacob’s photography skills have been advancing along with the technology within each camera.

Neal has been taking pictures since before he was ten years old, but as he matured his passion for photography increased. His desire to hone his skills drove him to seek the expertise of professionals in the field. He has attended seminars by the Rocky Mountain School of Photography and Sandy “Sam” Puc'. Neal has brought internationally-known photographers to the local area for the benefit of the professional photography community, including Joe Buissink, Tero Sade, and Zack Arias.

A computer geek by trade, Neal loves to stay abreast of advancing technology in the field of photography. Infrared, black and white, and HDR photography are especially intriguing.

For several years, Neal enjoyed shooting weddings, engaged couples, maternity sessions, babies, and family portraits, but he kept coming back to structures and “the beauty of God’s creation.” He has gone on several Washington Photo Safaris, hosted by architectural photographer E. David Luria, and on photo walks with photojournalist Shawn Duffy. Neal has even hosted a photo walk in his hometown. Neal leads the newly formed Shenandoah Valley SmugMug user group (smug.nealjacob.com).

Neal thrives on getting great shots as an event photographer for Christian concerts and music festivals. His work has been featured on Matthew West’s website and the Awakening Music Festival website. Third Day, Apologetix, Mark Schultz, DecembeRadio, Casting Crowns, Newsboys, Jars of Clay, Switchfoot, and NeedToBreathe are some of the artists that have been captured by Neal’s lens.

A display of Neal’s images was recently well received at Samuels Public Library, and his work is currently being highlighted at Main Street Book Company and D & B Chocolates & Confections in downtown Front Royal.

From the Great Lakes to the Caribbean shores, from the Rocky Mountains to the Shenandoah Valley, you’ll find Neal capturing glorious scenic images. But what he enjoys most of all is making memories with his wife, Kathy, and their three children, who make Front Royal, Virginia their home.

I think she did a pretty decent job! :biggrin:

Neal :

I've been in the business of selling services for a very long time, including managing divisions where this has been the bread and butter of getting people paid each month. So take what I'm about to offer as sometimes bitterly learned experience.

Nobody cares about our backgrounds much. It's nice fluffy filler, and occasionally allows for folks to feel they've "connected" with us, but for the most part, they don't much care about the science fairs I won as a kid, and all of the silly things I did from then to now. More on that later... :wink:

People buy many things, not all, but many based on F.A.B.

Features, Attributes, Benefits.

Features : Neal shoots with a Nikon D9xs and 10-900mm VR12 lens which gives photos so detailed that you could build a human clone from them !

Attributes : 3,500MP photos mean that you can get a zoom shot of Aunt Hilda at the wedding in the back tongue-kissing the orchestra leader before the waltz begins, and you can see just the maker's sign on her earrings !

Benefits : Neal's advanced über-Mac with mutant-Lynx software using duotronic circuits with Voyager-class gel-packs means that the photos are being posted to your Facebook account before the bride and groom get to the matrimonial bed on the wedding night !

OK, that's perhaps, as my UK relatives would have said, more than a bit OTT, but you can derive the ideas from the outré thoughts. FAB can be done as BAF, AFB, etc. As you can see, there's cross between each part of FAB. Note that it doesn't need to be hammered down like a deck plank to the stringer, but people want to know What-You-Do, How-You-Do-It, Why-It's-Good-For-Them when they read a bio for services. Once you've addressed the FAB aspects of what you do, you can tell them about interesting aspects of who you are, but only after you've properly addressed those points.

If you're interested only in a bio that isn't used to sell services, tell them about any old aspect of your life, and enjoy the recounting. There's nothing at all wrong with a well-lived life, and one that's interesting. Selling services from the bio is another matter.

After all, I've never landed one consulting gig anywhere in the world because I can sing the Major-General's Song without accompaniment and on-key, and there's been even less interest in my skills as ...

... Well, you get the idea. :rolleyes:

John P.

PJohnP is on the button.
If you are selling services, keep your likes, loves, religious preferences out of it.

I did ask for advice and I thank you, but that's a part of who I am and this is my bio.

As well as what gear you use (camera, computer etc). No one, except curious photographers/pixelpeepers care about all of this.

I'm hoping to get a Nikon/Manfrotto sponsorship. :biggrin:

Nobody ever reads that stuff Neal. Write whatever you want.

What Chris meant was that he never reads that stuff.:smile::smile::smile::smile:

I'm just going to stick with Sean's suggestion. :biggrin:

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I think my Bride did a wonderful job. She interviewed me the other night and that's what she came up with. :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom