Bird i.d. requested

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, May 21, 2005.

1. I'm not very familiar with the various hawks, falcons, etc but shot these two yesterday. Can anyone tell me what they are?

[​IMG]

Not the greatest shot but hopefully identifiable. Different bird from above and different park
    [​IMG]

Same bird as above but in flight
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow kevin,

Great catches. Nice shots. The first one looks like he/she is looking right at you. big eyes.

Red shouldered hawk ???? Not good on bird ID's.

3. Thanks, Gale! Yeah, he had his eye on me alright. I was trying to make noises so he'd look at me. Got a couple of him with his mouth open while he was squaking. These are my first raptor shots so I was rather pleased he was so accommodating.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin,

Wasn't it just a thrill to get such a shot.

I remember the feeling well when I first saw a bald eagle. Don't have any real good one of him though. Darn.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent Kevin. I got my first raptor about a year ago and I can well remember every detail of getting the shot. Like Gale, I can also remember my first Eagle. I was literally trying to shoot with tears running down my face it was so awesome. :oops:

6. Excellent Kevin......I have yet to capture my first BIG bird. I have a red tail that soars over my house every once in a while. :D :D :D

7. phranc

phranc

Apr 30, 2005
    Central Texas
    Great shots. Looks like a red shouldered hawk to me.

8. Thanks everyone for the kind words. Gail and Frank I think you're right. I was at the Audobon Center today and saw a Red Shouldered Hawk and it looked exactly like this bird.

It is really a thrill to see these magnificent birds out in the wild. Then it's even more exciting when you realize they're not going to fly off and you can take 30 shots of them. I'm definitely having fun!