1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bird ID help needed - No Pictures

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Otter, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Hi,

Sorry to post this without any pictures but I am hoping you birding experts can point me in the right direction. I have seen this little bird only twice in the last two weeks. The two times I saw this bird there were two together. Neither time did I have my camera or binoculars. :frown:

Here's a shot at trying to describe him:
    • On the ground foraging
    • Very small
    • About 2/3 the size of a sparrow
    • Its shape I would say very similar to a Wren - narrow and pointy for lack of better description
    • Its breast appeared solid gray
    • Its wings and back colored/patterned similar to a sparrow
    • White streak through its eyes
    • The most memorable or striking feature was it has Red on the top of its head

I thought Chipping sparrow but that's not right. Close though. The Chipping Sparrow has a black streak through its eye. And this bird I saw really isn't shaped like a sparrow. Really looks like some kind of wren.

I've searched through all my bird books and numerous web sites like whatbird.com. I haven't found it yet so I am trying this approach.

Any suggestions at what bird I might look at to ID it?

Thanks a lot.
    Joe

2. I am interested in hearing the responses. I will try to look through my book this eve.

3. now ya got me curious too!

4. Sorry to put you through this mental stress! :smile:
    Thanks for any info you might find.

5. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    my first thought is a ruby crowned kinglet or maybe a golden crowned kinglet with that red on the head,,

6. Thanks all.

I looked up the kinglets and the colors aren't right. Neither is the shape. Somebody suggested Chipping sparrow, those have a black streak through the eye. These I saw have a definite white streak.

Any other suggestions?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.