Bird ID help needed - No Pictures

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Otter, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Hi,

Sorry to post this without any pictures but I am hoping you birding experts can point me in the right direction. I have seen this little bird only twice in the last two weeks. The two times I saw this bird there were two together. Neither time did I have my camera or binoculars. :frown:

Here's a shot at trying to describe him:
    • On the ground foraging
    • Very small
    • About 2/3 the size of a sparrow
    • Its shape I would say very similar to a Wren - narrow and pointy for lack of better description
    • Its breast appeared solid gray
    • Its wings and back colored/patterned similar to a sparrow
    • White streak through its eyes
    • The most memorable or striking feature was it has Red on the top of its head

I thought Chipping sparrow but that's not right. Close though. The Chipping Sparrow has a black streak through its eye. And this bird I saw really isn't shaped like a sparrow. Really looks like some kind of wren.

I've searched through all my bird books and numerous web sites like whatbird.com. I haven't found it yet so I am trying this approach.

Any suggestions at what bird I might look at to ID it?

Thanks a lot.
    Joe

2. I am interested in hearing the responses. I will try to look through my book this eve.

3. now ya got me curious too!

4. Sorry to put you through this mental stress! :smile:
    Thanks for any info you might find.

5. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    my first thought is a ruby crowned kinglet or maybe a golden crowned kinglet with that red on the head,,

6. Thanks all.

I looked up the kinglets and the colors aren't right. Neither is the shape. Somebody suggested Chipping sparrow, those have a black streak through the eye. These I saw have a definite white streak.

Any other suggestions?