1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bird ID help

Discussion in 'Birds' started by fireflyer, Aug 14, 2009.

1. I was out hiking in Yellowstone last week and came across this bird. It's behavior seemed odd to me. It would jump up from my feet, fly 10 or 15 feet and then settle down like this on a rock. It did this over and over, each time settling down on the rock like it was nesting. I didn't appear to be injured or protecting a nest. Its camoflauge was so good, I'd lose it against the rocks when I'd look down at my camera.

p264888070-4.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 398045
    Thanks,
    Jeff

P.S. - I dropped my 70-300 right before this and apparently broke my autfocus. Sorry about my less than stellar manual focusing ability.

2. The images aren't showing for me, they're just grey boxes that say "content protected by owner"

3. Sorry - I fixed it.

4. califlefty

califlefty

Apr 7, 2006
    Common Nighthawk.

5. Thanks - just uncommon for amatuers like me. I appreciate your help.

6. Common Nighthawk definitely. Not often seen so you had a nice experience there. I think it might have been feeding since it hunts insects on the wing. It kept going back the rock because it blends well with the rock as a background.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009
  7. Neat - where was this guy at? Sorry about your lens!

Sean

8. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    They might be Common Nighthawks, but they are anything but 'common'. Lucky you to get these wonderful shots.

You might want to post these over at birdersworld.com. They'll be excited, too!

9. Thanks everyone! I spotted this guy in a rocky bluff-like area north of the road between Tower Junction and the lamar Valley in Yellowstone NP.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.