Bird ID needed==Grey Catbird

PGB

This is the first picture I've had the opportunity to take in a couple of weeks. Leigh and the boys and I went on a little drive to Alabama Birding Trail Site 31 today. Its 5 minutes from my house and is more commonly known as Cave Spring.

This bird has a similar build to a Mockingbird but has distinctive differences. Any help on its i.d. would be greatly appreciated.

39201350-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:

PGB

Vinod,

Thanks for the reply. A quick google search of Grey Catbird confirms your ID. Thanks for the help. I definately need to get a field guide.

Regards,

R

Removed User 2

I have no idea but a here's a wild guess: Isn't it a Gray Catbird?

Actually you can accuse me of plagiarism :wink: ... Nice shot!

Nice shot Patick.
How was the birding at this site (assuming good weather)? Have you been to any of the other NABT sites?
I'm taking Monday off, and, if I can talk myself out of sleeping in, may go check it out.

ID looks correct. To be honest, this is the first time I've ever seen this species. You need to try for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker next. :smile:

Well done in very poor lighting.

Very nicely done, Patrick! How much lens did you have for this fella? (somebody needs to hint for a Sibley's guide as their next gift) :wink:

PGB

Steve S said:
Very nicely done, Patrick! How much lens did you have for this fella? (somebody needs to hint for a Sibley's guide as their next gift) :wink:

Thanks for all of the reply's. Steve, I was at 420mm with this one. I usually leave that setup on the cam.

The weather was horrible. Overcast and grey all day. Plus the area we were in all of the trees blocked out any other light. As you can tell this was a pretty high ISO shot with the X.

Saw about 50-75 Snowy Egrets but could not get close. There were other trails in the area that probably got close to them but I wasn't prepared to hunt that much with the family in the truck.

cknight said:
Nice shot Patick.
How was the birding at this site (assuming good weather)? Have you been to any of the other NABT sites?
I'm taking Monday off, and, if I can talk myself out of sleeping in, may go check it out.

Chris!

This site would probably warrant further exploration. There is no cell coverage so be sure to let someone know before you head out there. If you would like directions I can give them. Its really easy.

Thanks again for all of the replys.

Latest threads

Top Bottom