Bird ID please...Sandhill Crane?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Bohdan, Aug 6, 2007.

1. As we were driving back from camping this week we saw in a clearing off the road 3 of these stork like creatures ~ 3 feet in size and bounding off in the single file ostrich style...
    Apologize for the quality of picture...a fair distance away. The nearest we could figure from our Audobon guide is that it may be a sandhill crane. The rust like colouration could be due to the high iron content in the lakes and ponds around Atikokan area in Northwestern Ontario...
    Can anyone confirm or correct me.

Thanks

181029984-L.

2. Sure looks like a Sandhill to me, they are huge birds aren't they

3. Yep, I believe that's a Sandhill.

4. That is certainly a Sandhill Crane. The rust color is apparently a normal summer plumage that goes to almost all gray in the winter.

Bob & Nan

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is a very Pretty Sandhill image:>)))

6. Thanks everyone for your feedback and confirmation of the sandhill crane...they certainly were an unusual site around here. Glad they stopped by for a visit!!

7. very nice shot Bob., the environment really works.

8. Thanks Raymond...1 out of 4 shots that I got off seems to have worked. I'm grateful for that. A pleasant surprise it was!

9. Yep, Sandhill Crane alright And I believe that is a male getting breeding color as even the red patch on the head looks more vibrant

10. Thanks for the feedback.