Bird ID question- Little Blue Heron, I think

I want to confirm bird ID, I am no birder but trying to learn some of the smaller local critters.
Quick grab shot from this morning, as he shot out of the shadows, and was past me before I could really react.
Dr. Google has this as a little blue, but wanted to confirm
Thanks
Gary
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Steve
Yep... Reddish.

Real Name
Steve
Yep... Reddish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have seen this little fellow around for a couple of days, but never out in the open. When he flew out, it surprised me so like an idiot I watched him go by, before I lifted my camera. Missed him.
It did not look like a reddish, so I was lost. A cross of some type would make sense.
It also did not look exactly like a little blue. This was small, about the size of a snowy egret.
Gary

Reddish Egret appears to fit best when you look at the combination of body colour, bill pattern and leg colour. The blue cast looks like an artifact.

I will amend my opinion. I had said green. It could be reddish. Light on it is not good. The size is the key.
Colour and pattern are the keys. Green Herons have yellow or orange legs depending on age and don't have a black tip on the bill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was in deep shadows that were pretty blue.
It did not hunt like a classic reddish, but what do I know.
Thanks, I thought it was just me that wasn't sure what it was. This is really the only pic I have of it, if I get more in better light in the near future I will repost.
Thanks
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom