Bird id requested

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, May 7, 2005.

1. I'm still trying to learn some of these birds I find around the area but I've not seen anything like this one. Is it a juvenile something or is it a mature bird? I saw a photo of a "limpkin" [sp?] and thought it looked similar.

The clarity of this pic almost made me buy that borrowed S2. Lens was 80-200 f2.8 AF-D.

[​IMG]

(Now that I'm legal for the For Sale forum, I'm off to see what's there) :wink:

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is a LIMPKIN.

They love to eat snails. We are being invaded by some exotic snail some idiot let loose from and aquarium it is expected. They multiply worse than
    rabbits and fleas. Thats all I know wbout them.. Nice bird. Nice size for shooting. Good color.

Thanks for sharing. Good shot. I have one of those. Not as nice as yours though.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sharing my Limpkin

Scott,
    Thought just or the heck of it I would share my (limp attempt) Limpkin.

This was taken at the Viera Wetlands. Yes we have those darn snails here to.

Good for the Limpkin, maybe now we will see more of them.

Are you coming over to the Merritt shoot . may 30 -June 6 :>)) Sure hope so

Shot with 80-400 VR VR VR and D100 hand held

4. Hi Gale,
    Oooo...that's a nice one! They are kinda cool. Still like the egrets and herons, though.

Yes, I'm definitely planning on coming. I wanted to last Feb but my oldest daughter and wife went to Atlanta for a competition so I had the little one with me.

I'm working on making my final decision about a body. Hate to make the wrong choice when talking about this much money. If I can find a D2X in stock next week, I'll probably do that. If it's any longer, I may just settle for a D2hs and some other studio cam. I've held off making this decision for a year now, trying to focus on learning all I can about the business. I've studied the specs, borrowed a few, tried a few others so now it's time.

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone and getting the opportunity to get some great captures! I feel like a little kid.... :oops:

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Kevin,

This is a very good shot. I'm impressed by that S2. Can't wait to meet and shoot with you at Merritt. You are going to have a really good time. 8)

Any decision on a body yet? As Chris said 'toc, tic, toc.....'. :lol:

6. Nice shot Kevin!! :D :D :D

7. certainly is a limpkin. My understanding is that they are shy birds. Heres one I got last year
    original.

8. Hi Harris,
    That's a neat shot! From looking at their expressions you can almost see their shyness. He only tolerated me for a few minutes then took off. Hope I'll get to meet you at the Merritt Island get together. I've admired your photos for quite a while now.

9. Kevin, I'll be looking forward to meeting you. Our group shoots are a blast. Doesnt matter what gear you have, we all have fun. Even have folks with Canon and Sony stuff, but I must admit, Nikon is in full force on these babies.

See you real soon, and thanks for the kind words.