Bird ID?

Can't find my Bird Books.....

Can someone help...?

Very small bird, North East NJ.

GenoP

Nikon D2x ,Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR ,TC-1.7E II
1/350s f/8.0 at 500.0mm iso250
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Geno. It looks like a Palm Warbler. We do get the occasional Palm Warbler out here in the winter, but those birds are always in winter plumage. This bird looks to be the eastern version getting close to full breeding plumage.

Cheers

Tim Z said:
Hi Geno. It looks like a Palm Warbler. We do get the occasional Palm Warbler out here in the winter, but those birds are always in winter plumage. This bird looks to be the eastern version getting close to full breeding plumage.

Cheers

Thanks!

GenoP

Geno it is the
"Great Little Yellow Bird"
heehee
I would not have a clue.
But that is a pretty shot.

GenoP754 said:
Thanks everyone.......

I think Tim was very close, but this seems to ba a Canada Warbler. You can't see the back in this photo but it matches this one more than the Palm...

http://www.nearctica.com/birds/warbler/Wcanad.htm

It seems to also make sense she might be on her way to Canada, but I am very naive when it comes to this stuff.

GenoP

Now I think Tim is right......the Canada has a white spot this doesn't have.

GenoP

Geno, there are a whole bunch of features that make this impossible to be a Canada Warbler. First off, the Canada Warbler has a bright white eye ring, which is absent in this bird. This is definitely a Palm Warbler, The key features for this ID are, rufous streaks on breast, rufous colored crown, strong yellow eyeline & yellow color all the way from the throat to the underparts of the tail. These are pretty diagnostic features that cannot be mistaken. :wink: If you do not have a good bird book, I highly recommend the Sibley Guide to Birds . . . . great ID book for birds. :smile:

Cheers

Tim Z said:
Geno, there are a whole bunch of features that make this impossible to be a Canada Warbler. First off, the Canada Warbler has a bright white eye ring, which is absent in this bird. This is definitely a Palm Warbler, The key features for this ID are, rufous streaks on breast, rufous colored crown, strong yellow eyeline & yellow color all the way from the throat to the underparts of the tail. This are pretty diagnostic feature that cannot be mistaken. :wink: If you do not have a good bird book, I highly recommend the Sibley Guide to Birds . . . . great ID book for birds. :smile:

Cheers

Thanks Tim!

I am now sure you are absolutely right....I have the Sibley, and I think a Peterson? But I can't seem to put my finger on them. They were on my desk, but over the winter I seem to have moved them. Seems I am a fair weather birder.....LOL. Anyway the weather is getting real nice here, and my local paper loves running these. I don't get much out of it, but some satisfaction. Most of the stuff I shoot professionally is a lot more stressful, so this is very enjoyable to me. Now if I can just get my hands on a 500 4 at a reasonable price; although you really do well with the 300 4. I had one and they are a dream to walk around with.

Thanks again,
GenoP

I was gonna say it's a yellow bellied tweety bird bird. Nice shot Geno, boy I get tired of saying that to you. lol.

Latest threads

Top Bottom